Suggestions to start studying Physics and Maths

In summary: Sorry to smart off, but suppose please that you were to ask about the difference between upward and downward ballistics on a slope? Gravity operates for about 70% of a shot along a 45 degree angle but if the shot is upward rather than...Sorry to smart off, but suppose please that you were to ask about the difference between upward and downward ballistics on a slope? Gravity operates for about 70% of a shot along a 45 degree angle but if the shot is upward rather than downward, the ball will travel further.
Blue Whale
Some suggestions to start studying Physics and Maths.
Hello guys. I am a beginner. I want to study physics and maths on my own. My interests are relativity, space, time, how black holes work, how big the universe is, etc. And in maths, anything that could help me study mentioned above topics easily. Any suggestions which topics are must have and about ground knowledge I should have before I start studying and after I start studying these topics. Any great books you guys could recommend me. I'd very much appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What level are you currently at? High school? Undergrad?

Not clear. How and what depends on your current situation. Physics relies on Mathematics so start with the sequence this way:
  • Introductory Algebra (basic beginning)
  • Intermediate Algebra
  • Trigonometry
  • College Algebra or Pre-Calculus
  • Geometry any time after "Introductory Algebra" (yes, because it honestly does help)
  • First two semesters of Calculus And Analytic Geometry
  • Intermediate or Multi-variable Calculus
  • Something more, at least some introduction to linear algebra and differential equations

No way around the need to study the Physics for Mechanics--------excuse me for interrupting this I have a more urgent task.----------------

Likes sysprog
I agree with @symbolipoint's post -- I think that it contains a good brief syllabus -- I add to it that I think that when you're learning single-variable or multi-variable calculus, you should please let the beauty of the associated bridges between algebra and geometry fully catch your attention -- that beauty has the potential to entice you to fall in love with mathematics, and when you're in love you'll probably do anything that you justly may for the sake of your beloved, and the work that you do as a consequence of that love could bring about your becoming good at mathematics, which is something that pretty much everyone has to do on the way if he or she is ever to become good at physics.

Last edited:
Choppy said:
What level are you currently at? High school? Undergrad?
I studied physics in high school and college. later dropped out of university. didnt study any.

Blue Whale said:
I studied physics in high school and college. later dropped out of university. didnt study any.
For mathematics, you could start here and see what you make of it:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

For physics, classical mechanics would be the obvious place to start. There are various textbooks to be recommended. Resnick & Halliday or Kleppner & Kolenkow, for example.

If you want to get started with Special Relativity, then the first chapter of Morin's book is available here:

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/david-morin/files/relativity_chap_1.pdf

Likes sysprog and Blue Whale
PeroK said:
For mathematics, you could start here and see what you make of it:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

For physics, classical mechanics would be the obvious place to start. There are various textbooks to be recommended. Resnick & Halliday or Kleppner & Kolenkow, for example.

If you want to get started with Special Relativity, then the first chapter of Morin's book is available here:

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/david-morin/files/relativity_chap_1.pdf
Is there any free tutoring site or any volunteer helpers you may know of? I am having difficulties studying on my own.

Blue Whale said:
Is there any free tutoring site or any volunteer helpers you may know of? I am having difficulties studying on my own.
Also I can't afford to pay :(

Blue Whale said:
1586038897997.png

Likes Dale
Is there any teacher here that could help me ? how do I look for them?

I think that @fresh_42, who is himself a terrific math guy, was trying to let on that you've already arrived at the right place. Maybe you could start studying, and when you encounter a specific problem or question, please feel free to come to the Physics Forums and ask. For my own part, I'm more of a computer guy, but some of the members here are great math persons, and pretty much all of the members here are willing to help or to be of assistance.

Thanks @fresh_42. and @sysprog and everyone else who commented here. Thanks for the recommendations and suggestions. :) I look forward to ask you guys for help.

@sysprog you know any physics guy that could help me.

Blue Whale said:
Thanks @fresh_42. and @sysprog and everyone else who commented here. Thanks for the recommendations and suggestions. :) I look forward to ask you guys for help.

@sysprog you know any physics guy that could help me.
Yeah, some of the people here could work with you, but they'll presumably need some specifics to work with . . .

sysprog said:
Yeah, some of the people here could. but they'll presumably need some specifics to work with . . .
What kind of specifics

Blue Whale said:
What kind of specifics
Sorry to smart off, but suppose please that you were to ask about the difference between upward and downward ballistics on a slope? Gravity operates for about 70% of a shot along a 45 degree angle but if the shot is upward rather than downward, how does that affect the moa on the sniper's sight? I already know the answer to that, but I hope it's a good example of what I meant by 'specifics'. If you learn how to formulate a question, you'll have had to go a good part of the distance toward answering it correctly.

Got you. But what if I am having trouble with a whole topic rather than just a specific problem. For instance, I have been trying to understand vectors and velocities. But I cannot fully grasp them. They seem really difficult. Could I ask anyone to teach me that?

I think MIT opencourseware is a fabulous resource. Complete courses including lectures by very good profs. It is MIT however so not for the feint-hearted. Check it out:

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/

Spend a few hours.

Blue Whale said:
What kind of specifics
We can help you with the math as well as with physics. That's what our homework section is for. Whenever you have a question, create a thread there and ask. Just describe what you have tried to solve and where you got stuck. We try to teach here, i.e. assist learners. We do not solve your problems, but we try to make sure they occur only once. If you are serious in what you try, then get a book on mechanics, calculus and linear algebra, and start studying. There are plenty sources available for free on the internet, e.g. lecture notes of universities.
If you will have no questions, then you're probably doing something wrong.

We have a member from down under under who frequently posts questions about the math books he reads. He often shoot a photo of the relevant theorems and definitions and explains what he doesn't understand. It usually works fine, since he is always well prepared and asks specific questions. He reads various books on different topics.

I would make a fixed schedule and simply start.

Likes Blue Whale
Yes. I started it today. Although vectors are still giving me a hard time. And functions. They are really difficult

Blue Whale said:
Got you. But what if I am having trouble with a whole topic rather than just a specific problem. For instance, I have been trying to understand vectors and velocities. But I cannot fully grasp them. They seem really difficult. Could I ask anyone to teach me that?
Well, I could tell you that a vector is a scalar with a specific direction, that velocity is the first derivative of position with respect to to time, that acceleration along a vector can be viewed as a 2nd derivative,, that 'jerk' can be viewed as the 3rd derivative, that 'jounce' or 'snap' can be viewed as the 4th, but you can get all that from wikipedia, and the point is not to be able to recite it, as I just did, but to understand it -- for that, I think that you should start with 1 or 2 specific problems, rather than with a whole topic area. I think that we can generalize our understanding of topic areas largely by working through the particulars of specific problems.

Likes Blue Whale and hutchphd
Thankyou @fresh_42. That seems really helpful.

Thanks @sysprog. and @fresh_42. I have been trying to understand few topics for a few days. But they are giving me headache. But let's not lose hope. I'll start again. I hope it works.

Blue Whale said:
Yes. I started it today. Although vectors are still giving me a hard time. And functions. They are really difficult
One step at a time, but some of the steps are not very easy, so when you think that you might need a bit bit of a lift, tell exactly what step you're on, and maybe someone who has already climbed that step will give you a hand.

I have been crying lately. Just because I cannot study well. Seems childlike. But its true. I already went through a lot. And this is the only thing that can save me. And I am not even doing good at it. It really burns my mind. Its so difficult to focus. And the very fact angers me.

Blue Whale said:
Thanks @sysprog. and @fresh_42. I have been trying to understand few topics for a few days. But they are giving me headache. But let's not lose hope. I'll start again. I hope it works.
I have 2 suggestions -- same as I'd say to a potential champion athlete: don't try so hard that you hurt yourself, and don't give up trying -- your health should come first, even if that means putting advanced learning aside -- if you need a break, take a break -- other than that, building good study habits, getting help from colleagues and friends, and what you're doing now -- asking questions on a good site on the net --that'll help.

Likes Blue Whale
Blue Whale said:
I have been crying lately. Just because I cannot study well. Seems childlike. But its true. I already went through a lot. And this is the only thing that can save me. And I am not even doing good at it. It really burns my mind. Its so difficult to focus. And the very fact angers me.
Hey, please don't overdo things -- please take some rest, peace out, watch a nice movie, reflect on how much love is in your heart, go hug someone -- maybe you should take some time to rest and deal with basic life concerns first before trying to tackle all of the grand problems of physics that no human being can claim to perfectly grasp.

Okay. You're right. I'll start slowly. It shouldn't be too hard.:)

Likes sysprog
Science is too hard for most all of us, but we do it anyway, but not all at once, not too strenuously, and if we need a break, then we take a break, and maybe we get to go and find someone to hug.

Likes Blue Whale
You're right.

Likes sysprog
I have deleted this entire unpleasant and personal discussion. We do not exchange any personal data unless they are given deliberately in a user's profile. So please stop chatting and stay on topic!

We have some forums in The Lounge section where small talk is accepted to a certain extent.

• Informative
Likes sysprog, Dale and Blue Whale

1. How do I develop an interest in studying Physics and Maths?

One way to develop an interest in Physics and Maths is to find real-life applications of these subjects. Look for examples of how these subjects are used in everyday life, such as in technology, engineering, and medicine. Also, try to find connections between these subjects and your personal interests or hobbies.

2. What are some effective study techniques for Physics and Maths?

Some effective study techniques for Physics and Maths include practicing problems regularly, reviewing class notes and textbook material, and seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed. It is also helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and to use visual aids and diagrams to understand abstract concepts.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Physics and Maths?

To improve your problem-solving skills in Physics and Maths, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles. Practice solving a variety of problems, including both theoretical and practical ones. Additionally, try to approach problems from different angles and use different problem-solving strategies to develop a more versatile approach.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in Math to study Physics?

While a strong foundation in Math is certainly helpful, it is not always necessary to study Physics. However, having a good understanding of basic mathematical concepts such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry can make it easier to grasp more advanced concepts in Physics.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying Physics and Maths?

One way to stay motivated while studying Physics and Maths is to set specific goals for yourself. These goals can be short-term, such as completing a certain number of practice problems in a day, or long-term, such as achieving a certain grade in a class. Additionally, surround yourself with a supportive study group or find a study partner to keep each other motivated and accountable.