Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to sue my phone company for releasing my personal info

1. May 11, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming it can be proven, of course.
    http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1193478,00.html

Since Quest did not turn over the phone records of their users, as did AT&T, Verizon, and BellSouth, obviously cooperation was voluntary. That being the case, they are liable for their actions. I would like to see a national class action suit against all three companies.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Where does it say Qwest was asked to comply? I see no mention of them. :confused:

4. May 11, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, good point. It was implied in one report that they refused, but I don't recall hearing that for certain.

There is still the issue of whether this was voluntary in either case. Were they ordered by a court to turn the information over?

5. May 11, 2006 #4

Evo

AT&T, Verizon & Bell South would be heavy carriers of "international calls". Makes sense they would have been the only three companies asked to comply. The request, as I recall was to monitor international calls to certain countries. If you haven't been calling one of those countries, you can relax.

6. May 11, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Too bad even the Bush-hating Democrats in Congress said theres no legal right to having your phone # kept from the NSA.

Think first, then begin the rhetoric.

I bet these newspapers are making a killing off the public's over-reactive ways

*edit* oops bad mistake up there

7. May 11, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo,
    No, they turned over a list of domestic call activity for the last three years on "tens of millions of users", as is being reported.

8. May 11, 2006 #7

Evo

Also, it wasn't listening in, they had an algorythm to check for key words.

9. May 11, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The tracked phone numbers called and recieved.

10. May 11, 2006 #9

Evo

Who says so? I worked for AT&T random calls were not recorded, do you have any idea how many billions of calls that is?

Are you just talking about archived numbers? That's not actual phone calls.

edit: So, if you weren't calling any terrorists, I guess your safe. Anything you do over a public network is public, when will people realize that?

11. May 11, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Stay on topic. This is about the phone company. Think first, then spout the nonsense.

12. May 11, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Who do you think is giving them the number activity? Go find any part of your contract that says they couldn't do that. You'll be surprised.

13. May 11, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They know what numbers you called, and incoming, and how long you talked. That is private information.

14. May 11, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Not according to the contract you sign/the US legal system.

15. May 11, 2006 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't matter what the contract says. That's what courts are for. And we are talking about tens of millions of US citizens.

16. May 11, 2006 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Have you found any legal experts that have said saying what # you called is illegal? Theres already many saying its not...

And what do you mean it doesnt matter what the contract says. That's like not paying your mortgage payments and then sueing because a bank takes your house away.

17. May 11, 2006 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are you talking about?

18. May 11, 2006 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It's not illegal, no one, not even the radicalist of Congressmen are saying its illegal, give it up. Feingold was even briefed on it and gave the ok to it.

19. May 11, 2006 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anyone can sue anyone for anything. This certainly requires a legal challenge.

20. May 11, 2006 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are again off-topic. I am talking about a civil suit. Why don't you stay out of it until you catch up.

21. May 11, 2006 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well of course, you can sue. It will all only depend on what your contract says.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?