Watching King Arthur: Review and Legend Comparison

• Thread starter startic84
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved discussing the movie King Arthur and the similarities it shared with the movie Troy. The group also discussed a funny scene in the movie involving a Trojan rabbit and the possibility of a director's cut of the film. It was also noted that the scene in question was very similar to a scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
startic84
Hi all.
I watched king arthur and i find it to be a good movie. Anyone has anything to comment on the movie? I especially liked the battle scenes. It's unlike Troy(where most of the time you have 2 contingent of men just charging forward and then clashing and killing). 1 thing i don't quite understand. Is the story as depicted in the movie the true reflection of part of the legend?

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the part where they build this rather large Trojan horse, only it's a rabbit, and they carefully manoeuvre it beside the French castle, and then go off into the bushes and wait. The French soldiers then open the castle doors, furtively come out, and wheel the Trojan rabbit into the castle. After a while, King Arthur wonders what's going to happen next, and so Sir Bedevere answers, "Well, now, uh, Launcelot, Galahad and I, uh, wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the rabbit, taking the French, uh, by surprise. Not only by surprise, but totally unarmed!" King Arthur asks, "Who leaps out?" Sir Bedevere, pointing to each knight as he names him, replies, "Uh... Launcelot, Galahad, and I... uh, leap out of the rabbit, uh, and, uh..." At which point King Arthur groans, and Sir Bedevere finally gets it, but can't help from trying to retrieve the situation with this idea: "Oh... um, look, if we built this large wooden Badger..." And then King Arthur wallops Sir Bedevere on the head.

To me it seemed very cut-down, like I was only seeing half the movie. I'd like to see the director's cut, or whatever they call the longer DVD version.

cragwolf said:
I like the part where they build this rather large Trojan horse, only it's a rabbit, and they carefully manoeuvre it beside the French castle, and then go off into the bushes and wait. The French soldiers then open the castle doors, furtively come out, and wheel the Trojan rabbit into the castle. After a while, King Arthur wonders what's going to happen next, and so Sir Bedevere answers, "Well, now, uh, Launcelot, Galahad and I, uh, wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the rabbit, taking the French, uh, by surprise. Not only by surprise, but totally unarmed!" King Arthur asks, "Who leaps out?" Sir Bedevere, pointing to each knight as he names him, replies, "Uh... Launcelot, Galahad, and I... uh, leap out of the rabbit, uh, and, uh..." At which point King Arthur groans, and Sir Bedevere finally gets it, but can't help from trying to retrieve the situation with this idea: "Oh... um, look, if we built this large wooden Badger..." And then King Arthur wallops Sir Bedevere on the head.

LOL, Monty Python and the Holy Grail anticipated Troy (2004) and King Arthur (2004) by 20 years! Those guys are geniuses!

Last edited:

FAQ: Watching King Arthur: Review and Legend Comparison

1. What is the plot of the movie "King Arthur"?

The movie "King Arthur" follows the story of a Roman officer named Arthur who leads a group of knights on a quest to save their homeland from invading Saxons. Along the way, they encounter magical creatures and must confront their own personal demons.

2. Is the movie historically accurate?

No, the movie takes many creative liberties with the legend of King Arthur and deviates significantly from historical events. For example, the movie portrays Arthur as a Roman instead of a Celtic leader.

3. How does the movie compare to the legend of King Arthur?

The movie takes inspiration from the legend of King Arthur, but it also adds its own twists and interpretations. Some elements, such as the Knights of the Round Table and the quest for the Holy Grail, are present in both the movie and the legend. However, there are also significant differences in characterizations and plot points.

4. Who are the main characters in the movie "King Arthur"?

The main characters in the movie include Arthur, Lancelot, Guinevere, Merlin, and the villainous Saxon leader Cerdic. There are also supporting characters such as Arthur's knights and the Lady of the Lake.

5. Is "King Arthur" a good movie to watch for fans of the legend?

It depends on personal preference. Some fans may appreciate the movie's unique take on the legend, while others may prefer a more traditional retelling. The movie has received mixed reviews from both critics and audiences.