I with a related rates question

In summary: Forget about the ##4\pi r^2##. You know ##\frac{dV}{dt} = \text{ melting rate of snowball } = c \cdot S## as given in the text. Then you know, as you have said, ##\frac{dV}{dr} = S##. If you treat the fractions as normal fractions of numbers, you will find...dr/dt=[(dS/dt)]/[(8pir)]The rate of change of the radius is constant.
MrDickinson
A spherical snowball melts at a rate proportional to its surface area. Show that the rate of change of the radius is constant.

Two ratios are proportional if they change equally and are related by a constant of proportionality? Not sure about this definition, but please correct it if you can.

My initial thoughts were to set up an equation and differentiate it with respect to time.

S=surface area, r=radius, k=constant of proportionality

S=4pir^2=s

(dS/dt)=2*4*pi*r*(dr/dt)

(dr/dt)=[(dS/dt)]/[(8pir)]

At this point, I do not know what to do.

The words I am using to describe the situation: The rate at which the snowball melts (dS/dt) is proportional to the radius. So the radius is the constant of proportionality? I am thinking that we should have something like the following: (d/s/dt)=constant of proportionality*surface area?

I am not sure how to understand this problem.

Please explain the problem. There is nothing worse than a teacher that does a bunch of math on a chalkboard, gives the most minute explanation, and calls it teaching (just my opinion)

Please use words and explain what is happening. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the rate of melting is ##\frac{dV(r,t)}{dt} = c \cdot S(r,t) \sim 4\pi r(t)^2## for some constant ##c##. Do you know how volume ##V## and surface ##S## are related?

fresh_42 said:
You know that the rate of melting is ##\frac{dV(r,t)}{dt} = c \cdot S(r,t) \sim 4\pi r(t)^2## for some constant ##c##. Do you know how volume ##V## and surface ##S## are related?
The derivative of volume is equal to surface area?

MrDickinson said:
Also, I do not understand your notation. Can you please use words?

It seems that you are saying that the derivative of volume at some arbitrary time for some arbitrary radius (with respect to time) is equal to some constant of proportionality multiplied by the surface area at some arbitrary time for some arbitrary radius. It seems that you are also implying that surface area is a function of r and t and changes as r and t change. I have not taken multivariable calculus...

MrDickinson said:
Yep! And with respect to what? I used the same notation as you did, only an additional ##\sim## to indicate proportionality.
If you write your answer above in terms of the Leibniz notation as you did with the surface and add my equation which is given by the exercise, then you will only have to rearrange the terms.

Likes MrDickinson
fresh_42 said:
Yep! And with respect to what? I used the same notation as you did, only an additional ##\sim## to indicate proportionality.
If you write your answer above in terms of the Leibniz notation as you did with the surface and add my equation which is given by the exercise, then you will only have to rearrange the terms.
I see. I will research your notation in a bit to try to understand how they are equal to mine.

I was just working on this again and I think I see where you are going... but it slipped my mind... The volume of the snowball melts at a rate proportional to the surface area. I am still struggling to use this information. So dr/dt is the constant of proportionality? I still do not understand this problem...

Also, out of curiosity, is the problem true if and only if the surface temperature of the snowball is constant? It seems that the rate of change of volume is going to depend heavily on temperature..

If you solve for the given information, you get 1/(4pir^2)=dr/dt. But isn't r changing?

MrDickinson said:
I see. I will research your notation in a bit to try to understand how they are equal to mine.
##V## is simply sloppy for ##V(r,t)## or even more precisely ##V(r(t),t)##. The same with ##S##. Since we have two variables to consider, radius and time, it is as saying ##f(x)## which you are probably used to. The ##\sim## sign to state something is proportional might be a bit of a personal taste. I'm not quite sure about that.

I was just working on this again and I think I see where you are going... but it slipped my mind... The volume of the snowball melts at a rate proportional to the surface area. I am still struggling to use this information. So dr/dt is the constant of proportionality? I still do not understand this problem...

Also, out of curiosity, is the problem true if and only if the surface temperature of the snowball is constant? It seems that the rate of change of volume is going to depend heavily on temperature..

If you solve for the given information, you get 1/(4pir^2)=dr/dt. But isn't r changing?
Forget about the ##4\pi r^2##. You know ##\frac{dV}{dt} = \text{ melting rate of snowball } = c \cdot S## as given in the text. Then you know, as you have said, ##\frac{dV}{dr} = S##. If you treat the fractions as normal fractions of numbers, you will find ##\frac{dr}{dt}##. (Assuming you know what ##\frac{d}{dV}V## is.) This is a bit of a hand waving method, but I thought: Hey, it's a physics forum, so why to complicate things. :wink:

(Hopefully they won't hit me for this remark ...:nb))

fresh_42 said:
##V## is simply sloppy for ##V(r,t)## or even more precisely ##V(r(t),t)##. The same with ##S##. Since we have two variables to consider, radius and time, it is as saying ##f(x)## which you are probably used to. The ##\sim## sign to state something is proportional might be a bit of a personal taste. I'm not quite sure about that.Forget about the ##4\pi r^2##. You know ##\frac{dV}{dt} = \text{ melting rate of snowball } = c \cdot S## as given in the text. Then you know, as you have said, ##\frac{dV}{dr} = S##. If you treat the fractions as normal fractions of numbers, you will find ##\frac{dr}{dt}##. (Assuming you know what ##\frac{d}{dV}V## is.) This is a bit of a hand waving method, but I thought: Hey, it's a physics forum, so why to complicate things. :wink:

(Hopefully they won't hit me for this remark ...:nb))

I understand what you are saying; however, multivariable calculus goes beyond the scope of my education and the discussion. Conceptually, I understand what you getting at. Notice that the question is slotted as a beginning level calculus question, not a third semester college calculus question.

Anyway, we have (dv/dt)=cS

dv/dt=4pir^2(dr/dt)

4pir^2(dr/dt)=c(4pir^2)

Multiply through by (1/4pir^2) and we have dr/dt=c

Thanks for the help

1. What is a related rates question?

A related rates question is a type of problem commonly encountered in calculus that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. In these types of questions, the variables are related to each other through a known mathematical equation, and the goal is to find how the rate of change of one variable affects the rate of change of the other variable.

2. How do I approach a related rates question?

To solve a related rates question, you first need to identify the variables involved and their relationship to each other. Then, you can use the chain rule from calculus to determine how the rates of change of the variables are related. Once you have set up the equation, you can solve for the unknown rate of change by plugging in the given values.

3. What are some common examples of related rates questions?

Some common examples of related rates questions include finding the rate at which the area of a circle is changing as the radius changes, determining the speed of a car based on the rate at which its distance from a fixed point is changing, and calculating the rate at which the volume of a cone is changing as the height changes.

4. What is the importance of understanding related rates?

Understanding related rates is important because it allows us to analyze and model real-world scenarios using mathematical principles. This can be particularly useful in fields such as physics and engineering, where the rates of change of various quantities are constantly being measured and monitored.

5. What are some tips for solving related rates questions?

Some tips for solving related rates questions include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, labeling all known and unknown variables, and using clear and concise notation. It is also helpful to carefully read and understand the given information and to check your final answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.