I wonder if anyone can tell me the meaning of the statement

• Thread starter amaresh92
  • Start date
In summary, the statement "a 0.7V silicon diode or 0.3V germinium diode" refers to the voltage drop across the diode when it is forward biased. Germanium diodes have a forward bias voltage of 0.2-0.3V, while silicon diodes have a forward bias voltage of 0.6-0.7V. This voltage is the minimum amount needed to turn on the diode and is determined by the material used in the fabrication process. LED's operate on this principle and can produce different colors based on the material used.
amaresh92
i wonder if anyone can tell me the meaning of the statement " a 0.7V silicon diode or 0.3V germinium diode"?
is this given voltage(0.7 or 0.3) specify the voltage drop across the diode when it is forward biased?

advanced thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

is this given voltage(0.7 or 0.3) specify the voltage drop across the diode when it is forward biased?

Yes. Note that for germanium diodes, the forward bias voltage is said to be around 0.2 to 0.3 volts and for silicon diodes around 0.6 to 0.7 volts.

diod6.gif

Attachments

• diod6.gif
    diod6.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 413

Another easy way to look at it is, it's the small amount of voltage needed to turn on the switch. The Si, Ge, GaAs...whatever type, is just the material used during the fabrication process which has different electrical properties.

1. What is the statement referring to?

The statement is referring to a particular phrase, quote, or statement that the person is curious about and wants to know the meaning of.

2. Who made the statement?

The statement could have been made by anyone, including a famous philosopher, writer, or speaker, or it could be a common saying or proverb.

3. Is the statement meant to be taken literally or figuratively?

This depends on the context and the language used in the statement. Some statements may be meant to be taken literally, while others may have a deeper or more symbolic meaning.

4. How can I find the meaning of the statement?

There are several ways to find the meaning of a statement. You can do research and read about the context in which the statement was made, ask others for their interpretations, or analyze the words and language used in the statement.

5. Why is it important to understand the meaning of the statement?

Understanding the meaning of a statement can help us gain a deeper understanding of the world and the thoughts and ideas of others. It can also broaden our perspectives and challenge our own beliefs and assumptions.