I would really like to get a jump on calculus before next semester

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
I would really like to get a jump on calculus before next semester when I take calculus.... The calc book that I am currently reading is ..... https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486404536/?tag=pfamazon01-20 . I want another calc book to read to. I dont want calculus for dummies or any book like that... I rather have a book that goes indepth..

Last edited by a moderator:

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Re: Calculus...

Go to EBay or a used bookstore someplace and buy an out of date older version of something like Thomas' calculus book. Should be dirt cheap and plenty good enough. Newer isn't better.

I hurd of a book by Michael Spivak... is that good?

The reason why I dont want to just go buy a book is because I did that.... I bought a calc text book ( an older one ) and it isnt indepth.... and the other book that I showed you is a more indepth but I want something harder.

I learned from Stewart's book, I thought it did a good job. Have you looked at that one?

Thats the book our school uses... I have not looked through it. My guesses are it will probably be the same as the text book I have .... but Ill take a look....

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

I hurd of a book by Michael Spivak... is that good?
You mean "heard". Yes, Spivak's book is excellent, but depending on your abilities at this stage you may find it more of a challenge than you want.

Did you start off with a book as hard as Spivaks? or something easier?

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Did you start off with a book as hard as Spivaks? or something easier?
Who, me? Use the quote button to make it clear to whom you are addressing the question.

If you are asking me, I took calculus before there was a Spivak book and didn't encounter a deep analysis until I took advanced calculus out of Louis Brand's book as a Junior.

Who, me? Use the quote button to make it clear to whom you are addressing the question.

If you are asking me, I took calculus before there was a Spivak book and didn't encounter a deep analysis until I took advanced calculus out of Louis Brand's book as a Junior.
Sorry, I thought it was obviouse since we are the only ones in here having a conversation....

So your saying that Michael Spivaks book is really that hard ?

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Sorry, I thought it was obviouse since we are the only ones in here having a conversation....

So your saying that Michael Spivaks book is really that hard ?
You mean "you're". I don't know of any University that used Spivak for their standard first calculus course but that doesn't mean some didn't. It simply wasn't a standard text because most professors would agree that it isn't designed for the general first year calculus audience.

That isn't to say that you wouldn't benefit by it. It might be just exactly what you are looking for if you think the standard texts are not rigorous enough.

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Another text if you want a really careful presentation is the classical older text "Calculus" by Tom Apostol. Probably available in your campus library.

Thanks LCkurtz, I will have to look in to both of those books.

I'd like to second the recommendation for Apostol's Calculus. It's a good book even for the beginner. It essentially assumes you know nothing about calculus and builds it completely up from the ground while at the same time being quite rigorous

hey guys, I really need help as soon as possible with this task
t (days)

w(t) (degrees Celsius)
the temperature, in degrees Celsius, of the water in a pond is a differentiable funcition W of time t. The table above shows the water temperature as recorded every 3 days over a 15-day period.

use data from the table to find an approximation for W'(12). Show the computations that lead to your answer. Indicate units of measure.

I am sooo lost :'(
Please, can anybody help me???
Start a new thread.

To OP:
I learned a lot from MIT's OpenCourseWare calculus class. It's free. It doesn't cover everything, but what is taught by the book the real class requires, can easily be learned from Wikipedia.