I'd like to publish a paper in a journal

In summary: You need to provide more information about your qualifications and background before asking about being a co-author.
masa57
I want to publish a paper in one of these journals:

Radiochimica Acta
J NUCL MATER
INT J RADIAT BIOL
EUR J NUCL MED MOL I
SEMIN NUCL MED
J NUCL MED

I am ready to participate, share and support financially

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you have a paper written that you want to have published? The first thing you should do is go through those journals you, first to get an idea of the 'style' that is used, second to find where to send your submissions.

I have not got a written paper. I'd like share with an author. I may participate in writting up or finance. Unfortunately, I work in a place where there is no research lab.

You're being extremely vague. Are you interested in talking to an author of an article in one of those journals? Do you do research in the field? Are you wanting to get into research? What's your question?

I think I am clear. I want to be a co-author in a research paper. The only way that I can help is by sharing the writing, analysis, or paying some of the research cost.
I do not want the research paper to be published in any journals, bu I prefer one of the above mentioned ones. Thank you

Hi masa57, welcome to Physics Forums.

You need to provide more details.

What is the research topic? Have you actually done the research? Do you have any affiliations? What are your qualifications?

You have come here with no idea to pay someone to include your name in a paper?

No one is going to include your name on their paper if you have not significantly contributed to the research involved. I'm guessing you don't have a degree in those fields if you're asking this in the first place, which means you wouldn't be useful in the writing process (since we write about what we did) or analysis (since that depends on familiarity with the field), and the funding agency does not get co-authorship on a paper.

At most, a researcher can offer you an acknowledgment for your financial support, but no co-authorship.

masa57 said:
I think I am clear. I want to be a co-author in a research paper. The only way that I can help is by sharing the writing, analysis, or paying some of the research cost.
I do not want the research paper to be published in any journals, bu I prefer one of the above mentioned ones. Thank you

Life can be so deceiving. You are clear to yourself but not to others. There is so much that can be added-- a bit of context goes a long way. For example, what is your background or qualifications? Are you a college freshman or ?

Usually to co-author, you are required to be a contributing member of the research. And that means to actually participate in the research, not sure if paying for the research cost should give you the right to co-author. And isn't research costs covered by grants anyways?

masa57 said:
I want to publish a paper in one of these journals:

Radiochimica Acta
J NUCL MATER
INT J RADIAT BIOL
EUR J NUCL MED MOL I
SEMIN NUCL MED
J NUCL MED

I am ready to participate, share and support financially
J. of Nucl Mater is rather odd in that set which are mostly about radiology, radiation effects on biological systems, and nuclear medicine. JNM is mostly about materials used in nuclear systems, and radiation effects on fuel and structural materials.

By convention, the authors are the one's involved in performing the research. Sponsors are acknowledged.

One does not buy authorship, which is earned by doing the work.

masa57 said:

1. You do NOT get to be a "co-author" in a research paper by paying for the research. You can get an acknowledgment for financially supporting the work, but NOT as a co-author.

2. You also do NOT get to be a co-author by helping to write the paper.

3. The ONLY way to be a co-author is for you to actually be a part of the research and did either all, or part of the work! Then the Principal Investigator (PI) will decide if your contribution is significant enough to be included as a co-author.

4. You are putting the cart before the horse. Rather than looking for a research work to participate in and to contribute your effort to, you are seeking authorship FIRST and figuring out what you can do to be included in it next.

5. This topic is very dubious.

Zz.

The ICMJE has published a list of criteria for authorship of a paper in a medical journal:
http://www.icmje.org/ethical_1author.html

I would think that there is a similar criteria for physics journals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the OP means that he wants to co-author a paper legitimately and that he'd help finance research for the privelage of doing that, rather than buying his way into the co-authors.
I could be mistaken though..

genericusrnme said:
I think the OP means that he wants to co-author a paper legitimately and that he'd help finance research for the privelage of doing that, rather than buying his way into the co-authors.
I could be mistaken though..

Financing the research does not mean Co-authorship. The issue is that in order to be a co-author you must understand the technical details of the paper, and be liable for the content of the paper. In addition to contribute substantially in terms of work to the paper. Being a proofreader, editor, or writer does not count as substantial contribution.

Also I don't think ANYONE can financially provide for a paper, unless they have significant wealth. Most of the grants I see for research are high (USD$100k+; you have to pay researchers, pay materials, and so on). I believe in Nuclear research, they may be even higher.

Pyrrhus said:
Financing the research does not mean Co-authorship. The issue is that in order to be a co-author you must understand the technical details of the paper, and be liable for the content of the paper. In addition to contribute substantially in terms of work to the paper. Being a proofreader, editor, or writer does not count as substantial contribution.

Also I don't think ANYONE can financially provide for a paper, unless they have significant wealth. Most of the grants I see for research are high (USD$100k+; you have to pay researchers, pay materials, and so on). I believe in Nuclear research, they may be even higher.

Yes, I know this. I was just pointing out that I think the OP actually wants to contribute to a paper since he said 'I am ready to participate, share and support financially'.
If I was to rephrase the OPs question, the way I see it, it would be as this;

'I want to publish a paper in one of these journals:

Radiochimica Acta
J NUCL MATER
INT J RADIAT BIOL
EUR J NUCL MED MOL I
SEMIN NUCL MED
J NUCL MED

I feel that I would be able to contribute to the research. If I were to donate a certain monetary sum, would it be feasible for me to join a preexisting research team and work with them.'

Just seems to me that he wasn't asking to buy himself into co-authorship without doing any work but rather 'donate' his way into a preexisting project that he could contribute to.

genericusrnme,

there is no way around this. The problem is if you have a research degree (at least master's), you already know how the process works. It does not work by coming to a forum to ask to join research efforts for a paper (you have no idea about) to some specific journals. No scientist is going to waste months, and in cases years working with an unknown to do research. It is a waste of time, and energy. The only unknowns that scientists generally tolerate are graduate students, and that is because they are being educated.

Last edited:
-.-

I'm not trying to say if he would or would not be able to do anything, I was just saying that, to me, it seemed like you guys were misunderstanding what he meant.

In research , using data-mining , one can discover , and this discovery can be published. If one thinks one MUST do the grunt work , lab work , blood work , etc , in order to BE "one who contributes" , one is sorely mistaken. MANY discoveries have been made through simple data mining , Cochrane does it all the time.

1. How do I choose the right journal to publish my paper in?

Choosing the right journal to publish your paper in can be overwhelming. Start by researching the focus and scope of different journals to see which aligns best with your paper. Look at the impact factor and ranking of the journal to determine its reputation and reach. Additionally, consider the audience of the journal and whether it is a good fit for your target readers. Finally, look at the submission guidelines and formatting requirements to ensure your paper meets the journal's standards.

2. What is the process for submitting a paper to a journal?

The process for submitting a paper to a journal typically involves the following steps: 1) Write and format your paper according to the journal's guidelines. 2) Prepare a cover letter and any required supporting documents. 3) Submit your paper through the journal's online submission system or via email. 4) Wait for a response from the journal, which can take several weeks to months. 5) If accepted, make any revisions requested by the journal and prepare your final submission.

3. How long does it take for a paper to be published in a journal?

The time it takes for a paper to be published in a journal can vary greatly. On average, the process can take anywhere from 3-12 months. It depends on factors such as the journal's review process, the number of revisions needed, and the timeliness of the author's responses. It is important to be patient and understand that the publication process can take time.

4. What are the common reasons for a paper being rejected by a journal?

There are several common reasons for a paper being rejected by a journal, including: 1) The topic does not align with the journal's focus and scope. 2) The paper does not meet the journal's quality standards. 3) The paper lacks originality or novelty. 4) The paper is poorly written or formatted. 5) The research is not rigorous or lacks significant findings. 6) The paper does not follow the journal's submission guidelines. If your paper is rejected, carefully review the feedback from the journal and consider making revisions before submitting to another journal.

5. How can I increase the chances of my paper being accepted by a journal?

To increase the chances of your paper being accepted by a journal, you should: 1) Choose a journal that aligns with your research topic and audience. 2) Write a clear, well-structured, and well-supported paper. 3) Follow the journal's submission guidelines and formatting requirements. 4) Conduct thorough and rigorous research. 5) Address any feedback or revisions requested by the journal. 6) Be persistent and consider submitting to multiple journals if your paper is rejected. With careful preparation and determination, you can increase the chances of your paper being accepted for publication.