1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal current source parallel connected with ideal Voltage Source and vice versa

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

Anyone Know why If an ideal voltage source and an ideal current source are connected in parallel, then the combination has exactly the same properties as a voltage source alone?

and If an ideal voltage source and an ideal current source are connected in series, the combination has exactly the same properties as a current source alone?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you have a go at sharing your thoughts on the matter. Start by stating the characteristics of ideal voltage and current sources.

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3
    well.. the truth is i'm not even sure what is ideal current voltage and ideal current source. all i know is ideal voltage source is a voltage source that won't drop because of some internal resistance (which is impossible) and ideal current source.. i'm not sure of it.

5. Oct 12, 2012 #4

gneill

Since the problem depends upon knowing what these two items are, it might be best if you check your text first.

6. Oct 12, 2012 #5
    i had. but scientific english is too difficult for me. my country's primary language isn't english. i thought someone can help me simplify it in this forum

7. Oct 12, 2012 #6

gneill

An ideal voltage source will produce ANY amount of current necessary to maintain its rated voltage. (No matter how the load is varied, it will maintain that voltage)

An ideal current source will produce ANY amount of voltage necessary to maintain its rated current. (No matter how the load is varied, it will maintain that current)

Needless to say, it's not a good idea to short circuit ideal voltage sources, nor is it a good idea to open-circuit ideal current supplies; In either case something's going to go BOOM!

8. Oct 14, 2012 #7
    hmm, i see.. thanks sir, i owe you one

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook