Ideal gas and Ideal Gas solution

1. Maylis

Maylis 793
    Gold Member

Hello,

I am wondering, if you have an ideal gas mixture, does that automatically mean that the solution is an ideal solution? Or is it possible to have an ideal gas mixture that is not an ideal solution.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. SteamKing

SteamKing 8,779
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gases don't dissolve into one another like solids do into liquids. What you have is just a mixture.

4. SteamKing

SteamKing 8,779
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

More to the point, we spend our lives immersed in a gaseous mixture called 'air', which is also not a solution.

5. Maylis

Maylis 793
    Gold Member

I don't think the concept of an ideal gas solution is null. It's mentioned in my thermodynamics textbook and referred to quite often, in fact.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  6. Chestermiller

Staff: Mentor

An ideal solution is defined as an entity that behaves as an ideal gas mixture. The molecules of the various gases do not interact, so the volume change on mixing is zero and the heat of mixing is zero.

Chet

7. hello...
    Ideal gases are the gases whose volume and nature do not change when mix it with the other gases.

8. Chestermiller

Staff: Mentor

This is the first response to this thread in nearly a year, and it adds virtually nothing to what already has already been said. I'm closing this thread.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?