Ideal gas and Ideal Gas solution

In summary, an ideal gas mixture does not necessarily mean an ideal solution. Gases do not dissolve into each other like solids do, and even our everyday mixture of gases in the air is not an ideal solution. However, the concept of an ideal gas solution is still relevant and discussed in thermodynamics. An ideal solution is defined as a mixture where the molecules do not interact, resulting in no volume change or heat of mixing.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am wondering, if you have an ideal gas mixture, does that automatically mean that the solution is an ideal solution? Or is it possible to have an ideal gas mixture that is not an ideal solution.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gases don't dissolve into one another like solids do into liquids. What you have is just a mixture.

More to the point, we spend our lives immersed in a gaseous mixture called 'air', which is also not a solution.

I don't think the concept of an ideal gas solution is null. It's mentioned in my thermodynamics textbook and referred to quite often, in fact.

Last edited:
Maylis said:
Hello,

I am wondering, if you have an ideal gas mixture, does that automatically mean that the solution is an ideal solution? Or is it possible to have an ideal gas mixture that is not an ideal solution.

Thanks
An ideal solution is defined as an entity that behaves as an ideal gas mixture. The molecules of the various gases do not interact, so the volume change on mixing is zero and the heat of mixing is zero.

Chet

hello...
Ideal gases are the gases whose volume and nature do not change when mix it with the other gases.

Port Phillip said:
hello...
Ideal gases are the gases whose volume and nature do not change when mix it with the other gases.
This is the first response to this thread in nearly a year, and it adds virtually nothing to what already has already been said. I'm closing this thread.

Chet

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of randomly moving particles that follow certain assumptions, such as having no volume and not interacting with each other.

What are the characteristics of an ideal gas?

The characteristics of an ideal gas include having no volume, no intermolecular forces, and elastic collisions between particles. It also follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are related.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It is represented by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

What is an ideal gas solution?

An ideal gas solution is a mixture of gases that behaves as an ideal gas, meaning it follows the ideal gas law. This is only true for gas mixtures in which the individual gases do not interact with each other.

What are the limitations of an ideal gas?

An ideal gas only exists in theory, and real gases do not behave exactly as predicted by the ideal gas law. The assumptions of an ideal gas, such as having no volume and no intermolecular forces, are not true for most gases under all conditions. Therefore, the ideal gas law is only an approximation and has limitations in its accuracy.