Ideal Gas Situation: What happens when P, V decrease?

In summary, when the volume and pressure of an ideal gas decrease, the temperature and internal energy also decrease, while the intermolecular forces remain constant at zero. It is important to note that in an ideal gas, there are no intermolecular forces present.
yaylee

Homework Statement

If the volume V and pressure P of an ideal gas decrease, which statement is true about the internal energy IE, temperature T and the intermolecular forces IF?

(I am not going to copy and paste the choices here in an effort to focus attention on the attempt of solution.) Would greatly appreciate if anyone can point out an error in thinking!

Homework Equations

Change in Internal Energy (I.E.) = Q (heat added) + W (done on system)
PV/T = PV/T

The Attempt at a Solution

First: My final answer. (Incorrect)
IE increases, T increases, IF are unchanged

Since P and V decrease, by P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, the temperature of this ideal gas should decrease.
Since Kinetic Energy is directly proportional to KE, the Internal Energy of the system should increase!
(In an ideal gas: no Intermolecular forces, otherwise, the gas would liquefy!)
So, Internal Energy is composed of KE, and since Temperature goes up, IE goes up, and IF is constant (or zero).

Many thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, yaylee! :smile:

yaylee said:

Homework Statement

If the volume V and pressure P of an ideal gas decrease, which statement is true about the internal energy IE, temperature T and the intermolecular forces IF?

(I am not going to copy and paste the choices here in an effort to focus attention on the attempt of solution.) Would greatly appreciate if anyone can point out an error in thinking!

Homework Equations

Change in Internal Energy (I.E.) = Q (heat added) + W (done on system)
PV/T = PV/T

The Attempt at a Solution

First: My final answer. (Incorrect)
IE increases, T increases, IF are unchanged

Since P and V decrease, by P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, the temperature of this ideal gas should decrease.

That is correct: the temperature decreases.

Since Kinetic Energy is directly proportional to KE, the Internal Energy of the system should increase!

Huh? I'm assuming the with KE you mean Kinetic Energy, don't you?
This doesn't make sense to me.

Either way, the Kinetic Energy is directory proportional to the Internal Energy.
And they are both also directly proportional to the temperature.
So since temperature goes down, so do KE and IE.

(In an ideal gas: no Intermolecular forces, otherwise, the gas would liquefy!)

It's not true that the gas would liquify - that would depend on the circumstances.
But yes, in an ideal gas there are no intermolecular forces.

So, Internal Energy is composed of KE, and since Temperature goes up, IE goes up, and IF is constant (or zero).

Many thanks in advance !

Hold on!
Didn't you say before that the temperature decreased? :confused:

Btw, you are right that IF is constant, moreover it is and remains zero, since we're talking about an ideal gas.

Hello I like Serena !

Thank you for the welcome.

I am sorry for mixing up increase/decrease throughout the problem.

In an ideal gas, As temperature DECREASES, Kinetic Energy decreases and therefore internal energy DECREASES.

Also: Intermolecular forces are unchanged, or remain zero throughout.

I am wondering why this is getting marked incorrect, oh well! Thank you once again.

Ah, OK. There was a mistake with the scoring. Your answer was correct. Thanks for the help!

As you just wrote it down, it is correct.

Cheers!

1. What is an ideal gas situation?

An ideal gas situation refers to the behavior of a hypothetical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and number of moles (n) of a gas. In an ideal gas situation, the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other.

2. What happens to a gas when pressure decreases in an ideal gas situation?

In an ideal gas situation, when pressure decreases, the volume of the gas increases proportionally. This is known as Boyle's Law, which states that the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional at a constant temperature.

3. What happens to a gas when volume decreases in an ideal gas situation?

Similarly, when volume decreases in an ideal gas situation, the pressure of the gas increases proportionally. This is known as Charles's Law, which states that the volume and temperature of a gas are directly proportional at a constant pressure.

4. How do temperature and volume affect an ideal gas situation?

In an ideal gas situation, as the temperature of a gas increases, the volume of the gas also increases, following Charles's Law. This is because the gas particles gain more kinetic energy and move faster, causing them to take up more space. Conversely, when the temperature decreases, the volume of the gas decreases as well.

5. Is there a limit to how much a gas can be compressed in an ideal gas situation?

In theory, there is no limit to how much a gas can be compressed in an ideal gas situation. However, in reality, gases can only be compressed to a certain extent before they start to behave more like liquids. This is because at high pressures, the gas particles are forced closer together and begin to interact with each other, deviating from the ideal gas behavior.