Ideal Gas Theory: Calculate N, V from P, T

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Jenkz
Messages
57
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



a) An ideal gas has a pressure of 1atm, volume of 0.5m^3m temperature of 300k. Find the number of moles.

b) Three moles of an ideal gas is at a pressure of 1x10^2 Nm^-2 and a temperature of 263K. Calculate the volume.

Homework Equations



1) PV = NRT
2) PV=NKbT

R = gas constant; Kb = Boltzmann's constant

The Attempt at a Solution



I have found the answers to be a) 1.22x10^23moles and b) 65.6m^3.

What I don't understand, is when to use which equation. Why can I not use equation 1) for question a) vice versa.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer (a) is wrong. In PV = nRT, the "n" stands for moles. In PV = NkT, the "N" stands for number of molecules. There are 6.022 x 1023 molecules in a mole.
 
Sorry that was meant to be 1.22x10^25 molecules.

Thank you for explaining.
 
Jenkz said:
Sorry that was meant to be 1.22x10^25 molecules.

Thank you for explaining.
Okay. I didn't check your math, but aren't you asked for the number of moles, rather than the number of molecules?
 
Woops I was meant to write molecules instead of moles for question a) in my first post.

Must remember to re-read my posts before submitting them. Sorry about that!