1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Rings - Abstract Algebra

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose R is a ring and I,J is an ideal to R.

Show (i) I+J is ideal to R. (ii) I union J is ideal to R.

2. Relevant equations

none

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2
    Can you show that you've attempted it?

4. Apr 3, 2009 #3
    Here is what I have (I think I have (ii)):

(i)
    Part 1: Clearly if a,b are elements of I, then a+b are elements of I (since I is ideal to R) and if a,b are elements of J then a + b are elements of J (since J is ideal to R)

If we have one element from each ideal, say a element of I/b element of J, then we must show a+b is an element of (I+J).

a+b is an element of R since a,b is an element of R and R is closed.

Part 2: Let a be an element of (I + J) and r is an element of R.

Then if a is an element of I, ar is an element of I and ra is an element of I since I is ideal.

Similarly, if a is an element of J, ar is an element of J and ra is an element of J since I is ideal.

In either case, ar is an element of (I + J) and ra is an element of (I + J)

(ii)
    Part 1: Assume a, b are elements in I union J.

Then a + b is an element of I since I is ideal and a + b is an element of J since J is ideal.

Then a + b is in both I and J and therefore a + b is an element of I union J.

Part 2: Assume a is and element of (I union J) and r is an element of R.

Then, ar is an element of I and ra is and element of I since I is ideal.

Similarly, ar is an element of J and ra is an element of J since J is ideal.

So, ar is an element of (I union J) and ra is an element of (I union J)

5. Apr 3, 2009 #4
    you'll also need to show that I+J and [tex]I\cup J[/tex] are closed under multiplication and subtraction (in fact addition follows from subtraction).

For (i) part 1, it might help to recall that since [tex](I,+,\cdot)[/tex] is an ideal of [tex](R,+,\cdot)[/tex], [tex](I,+)[/tex] is a normal subgroup of [tex](R,+)[/tex] (since [tex](R,+)[/tex] is abelian). Simlarly for J.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook