1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Spring

1. Apr 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An ideal spring is hung vertically from the ceiling. When a 2.0 kg mass hangs from it at rest, the spring is extended 0.06 meters from its relaxed state. An upward external force is then applied to the block to move it upward a distance of 0.16 meters. While the block is being raised by the force, the work done by the spring is:

2. Relevant equations
    Force from a spring= -kd
    Work due to a spring= .5(k)(xi)^2-.5(k)(xf)^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe to find the magnitude of the spring constant i rearrange F= -kd to become k=F/d (i read that we can neglect the negative in this case? correct me if im wrong)

so F=mg=(2.0kg)(9.8m/s^2)=19.6N
    19.6N/.06m=326.667N/m=k

Finally, W=.5(326.667N/m)(.06m)^2 - .5(326.667N/m)(.10m)^2= -1.04J

Did i find the spring constant correctly? I feel like using mg/d was wrong.
    Also, when i use the work done by spring equation, is xi and xf the distance away from equilibrium?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2
    the k value is correct.
    regarding work done by the spring -pl. check whether the choice of xi and xf is correct....
    in the sector of extended portion the external force was supporting the wt. so what work was done by the spring -it came back to the relaxed state...i am just trying to think ....alongwith you

4. Apr 8, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that's ok. In fact, the force is always opposite to the displacement, so technically it should be k=-F/d.

That all looks correct. Are you surprised by the minus sign?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted