Calculating Work Done by a Spring

In summary: Just remember that the spring is doing negative work because it is pulling in the opposite direction of the displacement.Also, when i use the work done by spring equation, is xi and xf the distance away from equilibrium?Yes, xi and xf are the distances from equilibrium. In this case, xi is 0.06m and xf is 0.10m, since the block is raised 0.10m from its original position. In summary, to find the spring constant, rearrange the equation F=-kd to become k=F/d. Then, plug in the values for force and displacement to find the spring constant. When using the work done by the spring equation, remember that the spring is always doing negative work because
Le_Anthony

Homework Statement

An ideal spring is hung vertically from the ceiling. When a 2.0 kg mass hangs from it at rest, the spring is extended 0.06 meters from its relaxed state. An upward external force is then applied to the block to move it upward a distance of 0.16 meters. While the block is being raised by the force, the work done by the spring is:

Homework Equations

Force from a spring= -kd
Work due to a spring= .5(k)(xi)^2-.5(k)(xf)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe to find the magnitude of the spring constant i rearrange F= -kd to become k=F/d (i read that we can neglect the negative in this case? correct me if I am wrong)

so F=mg=(2.0kg)(9.8m/s^2)=19.6N
19.6N/.06m=326.667N/m=k

Finally, W=.5(326.667N/m)(.06m)^2 - .5(326.667N/m)(.10m)^2= -1.04J

Did i find the spring constant correctly? I feel like using mg/d was wrong.
Also, when i use the work done by spring equation, is xi and xf the distance away from equilibrium?

Physics news on Phys.org
Le_Anthony said:
Also, when i use the work done by spring equation, is xi and xf the distance away from equilibrium?

the k value is correct.
regarding work done by the spring -pl. check whether the choice of xi and xf is correct...
in the sector of extended portion the external force was supporting the wt. so what work was done by the spring -it came back to the relaxed state...i am just trying to think ...alongwith you

Likes Le_Anthony
Le_Anthony said:
I believe to find the magnitude of the spring constant i rearrange F= -kd to become k=F/d (i read that we can neglect the negative in this case? correct me if I am wrong)
Yes, that's ok. In fact, the force is always opposite to the displacement, so technically it should be k=-F/d.

Le_Anthony said:
Finally, W=.5(326.667N/m)(.06m)^2 - .5(326.667N/m)(.10m)^2= -1.04J

That all looks correct. Are you surprised by the minus sign?

Likes Le_Anthony

What is the formula for calculating work done by a spring?

The formula for calculating work done by a spring is W = 1/2 kx^2, where W is the work done, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

How do you determine the spring constant?

The spring constant can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x.

What is the unit for work done by a spring?

The unit for work done by a spring is Joules (J), which is the same unit as energy.

Can work done by a spring be negative?

Yes, work done by a spring can be negative. This occurs when the displacement of the spring is in the opposite direction of the force applied to it. In this case, the spring is doing work on the external force, rather than the other way around.

How does the work done by a spring affect the potential energy stored in the spring?

The work done by a spring is equal to the change in potential energy stored in the spring. This means that as the spring is stretched or compressed, the work done by the external force is converted into potential energy stored in the spring.