Ideal Windsheld Cleaner + Simple Green Ratio

In summary: Ammonia, used in most window and glass cleaners, is a strong irritant and can damage plastic and other materials.
David K
We are wondering if there is an ideal ratio of simple green + glass cleaner to get the bugs off & keep it streak-free. Thought there might be a chemist with the ideal ratio. We will experiment and let you know what happens.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If I understand you correctly you want to mix two different cleaning mixtures - results are typically unpredictable, as there are plenty of possible interactions between different components.

Likes jim mcnamara
I use a product called "Rain X", a water repellent, to coat my windshield. It's repellent property not only makes it unnecessary for me to use the windshield wiper when I go faster than 50mph (regardless of rainfall), but the coating seems to make it easier to remove any insects, tree sap, etc. Clearly, the terms "seems" is not scientific and I'm at least 29 persons fewer than any legitimate study, but that's what works for me.

David K said:
We are wondering if there is an ideal ratio of simple green + glass cleaner to get the bugs off & keep it streak-free. Thought there might be a chemist with the ideal ratio. We will experiment and let you know what happens.
Not good generally to mix different cleaning formulations. Consult your local cleaning-products formulation chemist. My best guess is use some formulation which has no dissolved salts, such as, do not include any silicates, nor phosphates in the cleaner. There are window/glass cleaners specifically intended form the cars' automatic window cleaning system. Glass and window cleaners will usually have some combination of solvents and might or might not include ammonia. The solvents are usually some combination of water, ethanol, isopropanol, butyl cellosolve or some other such glycol-ether, and maybe a small amount (very small) of a detergent. I do not specifically know the typical formulation of the stuff that is meant for the cars' window cleaning system - check the label.

You might use a very dilute solution of Simple Green to clean your windows by hand, but I would not suggest or know about how advisable it would be to put into the car window cleaning system.

1. What is the ideal ratio of Simple Green to use for cleaning windshields?

The ideal ratio of Simple Green to use for cleaning windshields is 1:10, meaning one part Simple Green to ten parts water. This ratio provides a good balance between the cleaning power of Simple Green and the safety of using a diluted solution.

2. Can Simple Green be used on all types of windshields?

Yes, Simple Green is safe to use on all types of windshields, including glass, plastic, and plexiglass. However, it is always recommended to test a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure compatibility with your specific windshield.

3. How often should I clean my windshield with Simple Green?

It is recommended to clean your windshield with Simple Green at least once a week to remove dirt, grime, and other debris that can impair your visibility while driving. However, the frequency of cleaning may vary depending on your driving habits and the environment you drive in.

4. Can I use a higher concentration of Simple Green for tougher stains on my windshield?

While a higher concentration of Simple Green may provide more cleaning power, it is not recommended as it may damage the surface of your windshield or leave behind a residue. Stick to the recommended ratio of 1:10 for best results.

5. Is Simple Green safe to use on tinted windshields?

Yes, Simple Green is safe to use on tinted windshields. However, it is important to avoid using abrasive materials or excessive scrubbing, as this can damage the tinted surface. It is recommended to dilute Simple Green with water and use a soft cloth or sponge for gentle cleaning.