1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideas for practical application of electromagnetic field theory

1. Jul 31, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I have to give a presentation on an application of electromagnetic field theory of my choosing, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that might be more interesting than the ones that have been suggested.

It's for a 2nd year university level physics (E&M) course, so the application needs to be applicable to that sort of material / level of understanding.

The recommended ones(which will be done by many, many students) are as follows:

-Cathode ray oscilloscope
    -Ink jet printer
    -Electrostatic generator
    -Electrostatic voltmeter
    -Magnetic separator
    -Magnetic deflection
    -Cyclotron
    -Mass spectrometer
    -Hall effect
    -magnetohydrodynamic generator
    -electromagnetic pump
    -dc motor

Anyone have any other ideas that maybe combine a few of these topics? I've been looking online but everything i find is either already covered in the list above or is too simple

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2012 #2
    I made a paper on mass spectrometry in an E&M class and I enjoyed writing about it, I thought it's a pretty clever process.

One thing that comes to mind that doesn't seem to be on that list is speakers/microphones.

4. Jul 31, 2012 #3
    TEM electron microscopy is another topic you might consider.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook