Identifiying Parallel And Series Connections

In summary, the two circuits have different series and parallel connections. The first circuit has a wire between nodes a and b, and a resistor between nodes c and d. The second circuit has a wire between nodes a and b, and a resistor between nodes c and d.
anthonych414

Homework Statement

I'm having a bit of a problem identifying series and parallel connections of resistors in some new circuits I've been exposed to, like the ones posted below. I'd be very grateful if anyone could give me some pointers or tips, or perhaps link me to some videos/explanations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Circuit 1.jpg
    Circuit 1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 444
  • Circuit 2.jpg
    Circuit 2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of series and parallel is EXTREMELY simple:

Parallel: both ends of two resistors join each other

Series: One end of one resistor hooks to one end of another resistor and that junction does NOT hook to anything else.

phinds said:
The definition of series and parallel is EXTREMELY simple:

Parallel: both ends of two resistors join each other

Series: One end of one resistor hooks to one end of another resistor and that junction does NOT hook to anything else.

I know that definition but how can I apply it in the circuits attached above? Could you identify the series and parallel connections in those circuits and show the logic followed in that identification?

anthonych414 said:
I know that definition but how can I apply it in the circuits attached above? Could you identify the series and parallel connections in those circuits
That depends on the points you are interested in. There is no parallel or series connection for all setups in this sketch.

An analysis of the resistance between a and b will look different from an analysis of the resistance between a and c, for example.

mfb said:
That depends on the points you are interested in. There is no parallel or series connection for all setups in this sketch.

An analysis of the resistance between a and b will look different from an analysis of the resistance between a and c, for example.

It's between a and b in both circuits. Can you explain how to find out which are in series and which are in parallel?

1) Don't be fooled by the drawn orientation of components; diagonal, horizontal, vertical --- makes no difference at all. The only thing that matters is what they connect to. That is to say, Topology counts, not artwork.
2) The same goes for wires: A wire that wiggles around the page and jumps over other things is theoretically the same as a point! What matters is what it connects together, and all those connections can be thought of as being to a single point.
3) You are free to rearrange the diagram in any way you want so long as you don't disturb the topology (what is connected to what). You can stretch or shrink wires, reorient components, slide connections along wires, etc., to your heart's content if it will make the circuit more obvious to you.

In your first circuit, which I've reproduced here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=62151&stc=1&d=1380051508.gif

Note the points I've marked C and D in red. There's no reason why that wire has to be that long. And there's no reason that those resistors connected to it have to have the connection points where they're shown. The same goes for the wire at the bottom and its connections.

Why don't you redraw the circuit, bringing the connections of those resistors to the center of those those wires? (Slide the connections of the 4 and 12 Ohm resistors to the middle of the wire CD. Do the same for the pair of resistors at the bottom with its wire. Can you spot any parallel or serial opportunities now?

For the second circuit, try to imagine what it would look like if your were to "pick up" node d and pull it over to lie between nodes a and b. Don't be afraid to bend and twist the wires or reorient the components. Just don't break any connections!

Note that not every circuit will present you with opportunities of parallel or series components to simplify, no matter how you rearrange the diagram. In those cases there are other methods you will have to apply, which I'm sure you'll be learning about soon.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 547
gneill said:
1) Don't be fooled by the drawn orientation of components; diagonal, horizontal, vertical --- makes no difference at all. The only thing that matters is what they connect to. That is to say, Topology counts, not artwork.
2) The same goes for wires: A wire that wiggles around the page and jumps over other things is theoretically the same as a point! What matters is what it connects together, and all those connections can be thought of as being to a single point.
3) You are free to rearrange the diagram in any way you want so long as you don't disturb the topology (what is connected to what). You can stretch or shrink wires, reorient components, slide connections along wires, etc., to your heart's content if it will make the circuit more obvious to you.

In your first circuit, which I've reproduced here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=62151&stc=1&d=1380051508.gif

Note the points I've marked C and D in red. There's no reason why that wire has to be that long. And there's no reason that those resistors connected to it have to have the connection points where they're shown. The same goes for the wire at the bottom and its connections.

Why don't you redraw the circuit, bringing the connections of those resistors to the center of those those wires? (Slide the connections of the 4 and 12 Ohm resistors to the middle of the wire CD. Do the same for the pair of resistors at the bottom with its wire. Can you spot any parallel or serial opportunities now?

For the second circuit, try to imagine what it would look like if your were to "pick up" node d and pull it over to lie between nodes a and b. Don't be afraid to bend and twist the wires or reorient the components. Just don't break any connections!

Note that not every circuit will present you with opportunities of parallel or series components to simplify, no matter how you rearrange the diagram. In those cases there are other methods you will have to apply, which I'm sure you'll be learning about soon.

Okay, I've been solving problems and I'm starting to get the hang of it, thank you very much.

1. What is the difference between parallel and series connections?

Parallel connections refer to a circuit where the components are connected in a way that allows current to flow through multiple paths simultaneously. In contrast, series connections refer to a circuit where the components are connected end-to-end, creating a single path for the current to flow through.

2. How do I identify if a circuit is in parallel or series?

To identify if a circuit is in parallel or series, you can observe the paths of the current. In a parallel circuit, the current splits into multiple paths, while in a series circuit, the current flows through a single path. Additionally, you can also test the voltage and current at different points in the circuit to determine its connection type.

3. What are the advantages of using parallel connections?

Parallel connections offer several advantages, including increased current and power, more reliable operation, and easier maintenance. In parallel circuits, if one component fails, the others will continue to operate, ensuring the circuit's overall functionality.

4. What are the disadvantages of using series connections?

Series connections have some drawbacks, such as a decrease in voltage and power, the potential for one failed component to disrupt the entire circuit, and less stability compared to parallel connections. Additionally, series circuits may require more complex circuitry and have higher resistance, resulting in less efficient operation.

5. Can a circuit have both parallel and series connections?

Yes, a circuit can have a combination of parallel and series connections, known as a series-parallel circuit. These circuits offer the benefits of both connection types, allowing for increased current and reliable operation. However, they can also be more complicated to design and analyze compared to circuits with a single connection type.