1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between lights connected in series and parallel

1. Jan 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When two same lamps are connected with the same battery. Their lighting will be greater when they are connected in series or parallel?
    2. Relevant equations
    Series U=U1+U2+U3+...
    I=I1=I2=I3...
    Parallel U=U1=U2=U3...
    I=I1+I2+I3+...

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer is when they are connected in parallel. But why?
    Is it related to the tension or intensity or power?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

In a very simple view, the brightness of a light bulb is proportional to the power it consumes. The power is determined by the voltage across the bulb and the current through it: ##P = V I##.

If you assume that the bulb has a constant resistance (again, a simple view), then Ohm's Law tells you that the current through it is related to the voltage across it by ##I = V/R##.

Use your knowledge of how voltage and current are distributed among components in series and parallel circuits.

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3
    So we can write P=U^2/R
    U is the same in each resistance in parallel, but it divides in resistances in series. So it is greater in resistances in parallel. This way P is greater when they are connected in parallel. Am I right?

5. Jan 21, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's a correct analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted