Identify class for three metal bars (Magnetic Field)

In summary: Welcome @jlmccart03 to Physics Forums!In summary, the table below represents the magnetic properties of the materials in each of the classes. Class 1 (ROW) contains magnets, which are said to be "ATTRACTIVE" to other materials in that class. Class 2 (COLUMN) contains materials that are "NOT ATTRACTIVE" to other materials in that class. Class 3 (ROW) does not contain any magnets, but contains materials that are "ATTractive" to other materials in that class. Therefore, the bar in the homework problem that you are trying to identify belongs to Class 1.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

I need to identify which class bar 1 and bar 2 belong in based on observed attraction/repulsion. Then I need to determine if the end of 2A would attract, repel, or niether to end 3A.
upload_2017-3-14_11-16-1.png

EDIT: Could not get this image in the post due to security reason apparently so here is the link
http://imgur.com/r5QeR3z

Homework Equations

No equations needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am simply lost on how to even begin to understand how they determine the class. I want to say that Bar 2 is a magnet so it belongs in class 1, but

Likes Shubham Jaydeokar
Physics news on Phys.org
Poster has been reminded that the student must do the bulk of their work here
Welcome @jlmccart03 to Physics Forums!

I would like to help you out with your simple problem.

But before giving you the detailed description about your answer to the problem, I would first like to tell you that the classes made in the table are not related to any metals and their respective Magnetic Properties in Nature. They simply mean a Class as in a Classroom.

Now, Let's Begin...

--The materials in the Class 1 are Magnets, Nails and Compass.
--The materials in Class 2 are Penny, Nails.
--The materials in Class 3 are Wood, Plastic, Foil and Penny.

--The table drawn below these classes represents the inter-magnetic properties of the above-listed materials. This basically means in simple words as "How would the materials from a specific Class (Row) would react to the materials of another class (Column).

--For the First case of Class1(ROW) to Class1(COLUMN), the materials contains Magnets, hence they are "ATTRACTIVE" to each other.
--For the Second case of Class1(ROW) to Class2(COLUMN), it is clear that as a magnet in class 1 is attracted to all the materials of class2, it is also named as "ATTRACTIVE".
--For the Third case of Class1 to Class3, it should be "Attractive".
--Similarly, for Class2 to Class2, "Not Attractive".
CLass2 to Class3, "Not Attractive".
and for the last one, Class 3 to class 3 itself, it should be "Not Attractive".

Hope I've answered your question appropriately.

Shubham Jaydeokar said:
Welcome @jlmccart03 to Physics Forums!

I would like to help you out with your simple problem.

But before giving you the detailed description about your answer to the problem, I would first like to tell you that the classes made in the table are not related to any metals and their respective Magnetic Properties in Nature. They simply mean a Class as in a Classroom.

Now, Let's Begin...

--The materials in the Class 1 are Magnets, Nails and Compass.
--The materials in Class 2 are Penny, Nails.
--The materials in Class 3 are Wood, Plastic, Foil and Penny.

--The table drawn below these classes represents the inter-magnetic properties of the above-listed materials. This basically means in simple words as "How would the materials from a specific Class (Row) would react to the materials of another class (Column).

--For the First case of Class1(ROW) to Class1(COLUMN), the materials contains Magnets, hence they are "ATTRACTIVE" to each other.
--For the Second case of Class1(ROW) to Class2(COLUMN), it is clear that as a magnet in class 1 is attracted to all the materials of class2, it is also named as "ATTRACTIVE".
--For the Third case of Class1 to Class3, it should be "Attractive".
--Similarly, for Class2 to Class2, "Not Attractive".
CLass2 to Class3, "Not Attractive".
and for the last one, Class 3 to class 3 itself, it should be "Not Attractive".

Hope I've answered your question appropriately.
Ok, I get what you are saying,but class 1 to 3 should not be attractive. They are not metals that provide magnetic forces. So then, how do I relate these to figuring out which bar in the HW problem belongs to which group. I just don't understand how to figure out the class from simple attraction and repulsion?

1. What is the purpose of identifying the class for three metal bars in regards to magnetic field?

The purpose of identifying the class for three metal bars in regards to magnetic field is to determine the level of magnetic properties each bar possesses. This information is important for various applications, such as in the manufacturing of electromagnets or in understanding the behavior of magnetic materials.

2. How do you identify the class for three metal bars in regards to magnetic field?

The class of a metal bar in regards to magnetic field can be identified through various methods such as measuring its magnetic susceptibility, observing its magnetic hysteresis curve, or using a magnetometer. These methods help determine the type of magnetic material the bar is made of and its level of magnetism.

3. What are the different classes of magnetic materials?

The different classes of magnetic materials are diamagnetic, paramagnetic, and ferromagnetic. Diamagnetic materials have a weak negative response to magnetic fields, paramagnetic materials have a weak positive response, and ferromagnetic materials have a strong positive response and can be permanently magnetized.

4. Can the class of a metal bar change over time?

Yes, the class of a metal bar can change over time. For example, a ferromagnetic material can lose its magnetism over time due to exposure to heat, electricity, or other external factors. This change in magnetic properties can also occur due to changes in the structure or composition of the metal bar.

5. Can the class of a metal bar be affected by external factors?

Yes, the class of a metal bar can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and exposure to magnetic fields. These factors can alter the arrangement of magnetic domains within the metal, leading to changes in its magnetic properties and therefore its class.