Identifying cut wires on a 30 HP Toshiba dual voltage motor using resistance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
AMGR
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I hope someone can help me.
I have an old 30 HP motor that I need to get working...if possible.
It is a 12 wire Toshiba, dual voltage. 230V 460V.
To wire for the low voltage the nameplate says:
connect wires 4,8,10 and 2 to supply 1.
Wires 9,5,11 and 3 to supply 2 and
Wires 6,7,12 and 1 to supply 3.

Someone has cut the wires and removed some of the numbers. The only identifyible numbers are 4,9,6,8,5 and 7.
Wires 1,2,3,10,11 and 12 have no numbers.

I have an electronic multimeter with resistance measurements.
Is there any way I can check resistances between what I know and what I need to know to identify the remaining wire numbers?

FYI: for high voltage hook-up the wires are paired:
6 and 9.
4 and 7.
8 and 5.
10,2 and L1.
11,3 and L2 and
12,1 and L3.

I appreciate any help.
Ian.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your 12 leads are for 6 identical coils paired up as
1 , 4
2 , 5
3 , 6
7 ,10
8 , 11
9 , 12
as long as you have 1 side of each coil you can do a simple continuity check to determine the other side and corresponding number. It seems you are in luck.
You have 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9
if you disconnect all wires from each other, you should check for continuity to the case, If you have none, you can proceed to pair 4 to 1 , 5 to 2, 6 to 3, 7 to 10, 8 to 11, and 9 to 12.

If it were me,once you have them all numbered I would hook it up to a starter and properly size the OLs. If it appears to run fine then I would check for balanced current in each leg.
If they are reasonably balanced you should be ok.
 
Thanks for reply, will go and check what you say right now.
I am normally not that lucky, maybe I should buy a lottery ticket tonight!