1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying Types of Converging Series

1. Aug 3, 2015 #1
    Hello, I'm looking for some help with this problem for my Calculus 2 class. Since it's a summer class my professor wasn't able to explain everything fully so if you can help me that would be great : )

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Select the FIRST correct reason why the given series converges.

A. Convergent geometric series
    B. Convergent p series
    C. Comparison (or Limit Comparison) with a geometric or p series
    D. Alternating Series Test
    E. None of the above

1. Σn=1 6(4)n/72n
    2. Σn=1 sin2(6n)/n2
    3. Σn=1 cos(nπ)/ln(2n)
    4. Σn=1 (−1)n/(6n+5)
    5. Σn=1 (n+1)(24)n/52n
    6. Σn=1 (−1)n * √(n)/(n+9)

2. Relevant equations
    Geometric Series:
    Σn=1 arn-1 will converge if -1 < r < 1

P Series:
    Σn=1 1/np converges if p > 1

Alternating Series Test:
    1) bn+1 </= bn for all n and
    2) limn->∞ bn = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. A
    2. B
    3. E
    4. D
    5. C
    6. D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get (in order 1-6) A, C, D, D, E, D.

4. Aug 4, 2015 #3
    My professor told me that I got numbers 2 and 3 correct

5. Aug 4, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I disagree. Here are the details.
    1. ##\sum 6 \;4^n/7^{2n} = 6 \sum (4/49)^n##, so geometric (A).
    2. In ##\sum \sin^2 (6n) /n^2## the terms are (i) not geometric; (ii) not alternating; (iii) not in the simple form ##1/n^p##. However, ##0 \leq \sin^2(6n)/n^2 \leq 1/n^2##, so a comparison with the series ##1/n^2## works (C).
    3. ##\sum \cos(n \pi)/ \ln(n) ## is an alternating series, since ##\cos(n \pi) = (-1)^n##. So, D.
    4. ##\sum (-1)^n / (6n+5)## is alternating, so D.
    5. ##\sum (n+1) \; 24^n / 5^{2n} = \sum (n+1) r^n, \;\; r = 24/25##. Here, A,B,C,D do not apply, and that leaves E.
    6. ##\sum (-1)^n \sqrt{n}/(n+9)## (or ## \sum (-1)^n \sqrt{ n/(n+9)}##---can't tell which you mean) is alternating in either interpretation, so D.

6. Aug 4, 2015 #5
    The correct answer ended up being:

1. A
    2. C
    3. D
    4. D
    5. C
    6. D

Thank you for your help : )

7. Aug 4, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you get 5 C? Did you read my detailed explanation?

8. Aug 4, 2015 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why wouldn't the comparison test apply in ##5##? You can do ##n+1\leq \alpha^n## for some small enough ##\alpha>1##.

9. Aug 4, 2015 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK. That would be an answer to my question (why?) that the OP did not answer. For all I know the OP may have used false reasoning.

10. Aug 4, 2015 #9
    I don't want to assume, but that sounded a bit rude.

Still, your explanations are helpful.

I am assuming that going off of your explanation for 5 that we can compare that to a geometric function ∑n=0 anrn and since the absolute value of r is less than 1 we can go ahead and reason that the limit would be equivalent to a/(1-r)

11. Aug 5, 2015 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No: a geometric series would be ##\sum r^n## (or ##\sum c r^n = c \sum r^n## for constant ##c##), but ##\sum a_n r^n## is NOT a geometric series if ##a_n## varies with ##n##. However, if ##a_n \to c = \text{constant} ## as ##n \to \infty##, then comparison with the series ##\sum c r^n## can be made to work without too much effort (although some extra effort is needed), However, in your case you have ##a_n = n+1 \to +\infty## as ##n \to \infty##, so that type of argument does not work automatically. If you thought it did, that is what what I would call "false reasoning".

However, as 'micromass' has pointed out, if you choose a small enough ##\epsilon > 0## so that ##(1+\epsilon) r < 1##, then for some finite ##N> 0## we have ##n+1 \leq (1+\epsilon)^n## for all ##n \geq N##, so for ##n \geq N## we have ##0 \leq (n+1) r^n \leq [(1+\epsilon) r]^n## and we can compare with the geometric series ##\sum [(1+\epsilon) r]^n##. Note, however, that some such argument as this must be acknowledged and recognized in order for C to be a valid and well-founded answer. Without this realization, just saying it would, again, be false reasoning.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted