If a=b then integral(a) = integral(b) ... 1/2lnx =/= 1/2ln(2x) ?

• Thread starter Wanted
  • Start date
Am I missing something?

if a = b then

Integral a = Integral b

a = dx/2x and b = dx/2x

a = (1/2) (dx/x) =
b = [dx/(2x)]

So far so good...

Integral of a .. let U = x, du = dx

Integral of a = (1/2) ln|x| + C

Integral of b... let U = 2x, du = 2 dx (multiple by (1/2) to balance out numerator only being 1)
(1/2) Integral (du/u)

Integral of b = (1/2) ln|2x| + C

But wait... (1/2) ln|x| =/= (1/2) ln|2x|

So did I mess something up or is integral (a) not always = to integral (b) given a = b.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

You scammed by hiding the difference in the constant. Your C's aren't equal.

You scammed by hiding the difference in the constant. Your C's aren't equal.
Help me understand why they aren't equal. Surely there isn't a difference between using one integration technique over the other?

du = 2 dx
Yes.. updated... but unfortunately that does not change or resolve the issue here or explain any confusion.

Last edited:
Help me understand why they aren't equal. Surely there isn't a difference between using one integration technique over the other?
Sure there is. The boundaries change. If you ignore them by hiding them in the C you could add any constant value, e.g. ##-\frac{1}{2}ln2##.

Sure there is. The boundaries change. If you ignore them by hiding them in the C you could add any constant value, e.g. ##-\frac{1}{2}ln2##.
Yea that's right. I just evaluated the definite integral from 1 to 2 and they were equal then. I suppose my real confusion is coming from some where else in my (parent) equation (not this one) I'll have to get back to you in a bit.