If basis change, how metric hcange?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in linear algebra involving a vector space with given basis and a Minkowsky metric. The transformation on the basis is linear and has a determinant of 1. The question is whether the metric changes and how to find the coefficients of the metric tensor. The conversation concludes with the explanation that the metric will be preserved if the transformation is a Lorentz transformation, but can become zero if it is not.
LuisVela

Homework Statement

I have a vector space (dim=2) with given basis (x1,x2), and a metric Q=[-1,0;0,1] (Minkowsky metric). Now i perform a transformation on the basis of the form y1=y1(x1,x2), and y2=y2(x1,x2)..the transformation is linear, and the determinat of its matrix is equal to 1.
Does the metric changes?...in that case, how can i find the coeficients of the metric tensor? (coeficients of the matrix)?
Hope i explained myself good enough.

Homework Equations

I don't know if i need to specifie more about the transformation. i think to say that its linear, and detT=1 will suffice.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tryed to go to the definition of the components of the metric tenzor...which will satisfy the equation: [Qij=(yi,yj), where the symbol (.,.) means scalar product.
But of course i don't know how tot ake the scalkar product...i mean..should i use the old metric?
Im really lost here..i don't know what to do...
Thx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's look at it more generally, using linear algebra.

Suppose you have some linear transformation T which corresponds to a matrix A in some specific basis. Do you know how to construct a matrix C that changes basis, and how to use this to represent T in the new basis (i.e. write the matrix belonging to T with respect to the new basis, in terms of A and C)?

Hi. Yes i do.
Let be [e1,e2] and [f1,f2] basis and C a matrix such that [f1,f2]=C[e1,e2].
Let T be a lin. transf. (represented by the matrix A) of the basis [e1,e2].
...The transformation T (matrix A) expressed in the basis [f1,f2] is equal to C^(-1)*A*C

Go on...

Well, the metric tensor is just a 2 x 2 matrix.
So in principle, you can construct the change-of-basis and calculate the new metric.

Note that if the basis change is a Lorentz-transformation (i.e it only rotates and boosts the basis vectors) then the metric will be preserved.

Thank you very much. That will help me.
One more thing though. When you say that the metric is preserved, will that imply that the norm of the vectors will be invariant?
Is just that in my case, i found that the norm of the vectors which expand the new space (the new basis) is cero!...is that possible?

Yes, if the transformation is a Lorentz transformation then also the norm
[tex]||\vec a||^2 = \vec a \cdot \vec a = a^\mu a_\mu[/tex]
of vectors will be preserved.

If it is not a Lorentz transformation, the norm of a non-zero vector can become zero. For example, consider a (non-invertible!) transformation where you collapse both basis vectors onto the light cone. Any vector will now be projected onto the light cone and have zero norm.

...(how did you write in latex?)

Thanks for the reply. It was of great help.

my transformation is the following:
[tex]
u=\frac{1}{\sqrt(2)}(t-x)\\
v=\frac{1}{\sqrt(2)}(t+x)
[/tex]

in the coordinates (t,x) the metric is the minkowsky metric
[tex]
\begin{array}{cc}-1&0\\0&1\end{array}
[/tex]

I found that in the new coordinate system the metric is
[tex]
\begin{array}{cc}0&-1\\-1&0\end{array}
[/tex]

The basic vetors then (expresed in the new coordinates ) are [tex]e_{u}[/tex]=(1,0) and [tex]e_{v}[/tex]=(0,1)

Now, if you calculate the norm of [tex] e_{u} \ e_{u}[/tex] it will be =0. My question now is: should i calculate their norm using their representation according to the old metric?..i.e.
[tex]
e_{u}=\frac{1}{\sqrt(2)} [/tex](1.-1)
[tex]
e_{v}=\frac{1}{\sqrt(2)} [/tex](1.1)
..in which case..its conserved..i.e. its equal to 1.

1. How does a basis change affect the metric?

When the basis of a vector space changes, the metric also changes. This is because the metric is a mathematical tool used to measure distances between points in a vector space, and the basis vectors determine the coordinate system used to define these points.

2. What is the relationship between basis change and metric change?

The relationship between basis change and metric change is that a change in basis will result in a corresponding change in the metric. This means that the values of the metric will be different when calculated using the new basis vectors compared to the original basis vectors.

3. Why does a basis change affect the metric?

A basis change affects the metric because the metric is a representation of the inner product between two vectors in a vector space. When the basis changes, the inner product between two vectors will also change, resulting in a different metric.

4. Can a basis change result in a metric that is not valid?

Yes, a basis change can result in a metric that is not valid, depending on the properties of the new basis vectors and the metric being used. For example, if the new basis vectors are not orthogonal, the resulting metric may not satisfy the properties of a valid metric, such as symmetry or positive definiteness.

5. How can we account for a basis change when using a metric in calculations?

To account for a basis change when using a metric in calculations, we can use a transformation matrix to convert the metric from one basis to another. This transformation matrix is typically derived from the change of basis matrix, which relates the coordinates of a vector in the original basis to the coordinates in the new basis.