1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear transformation and change of basis

1. May 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let B = {(1, -2),(2, -3)} and S be the standard basis of R2
    and [-8,-4;9,4]
    be a linear transformation expressed in terms of the standard basis?

3. The attempt at a solution

1) What is the change of basis matrix PSB ?
    -2,-3

2)What is the change of basis matrix PBS ?
    -3,-2

What is the linear transform expressed in terms of the basis B?
    i spent 4 hours going through the proof for this part but unable to bridge a connection. Something is lacking in my understanding.
    Give me a step by step guidance on this one.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2014 #2
  4. May 23, 2014 #3
    Khan is good but his proof and subscript can at times be sloppy. I enjoy Mathispower4u (discovered it before Physicforum did) but it seems there are no videos on change on basis on Mathispower4u.

But anyway, I have a much rigorous proof on hand that I wish to understand fully.

The transformation machine that maps the vector v with respect to the standard basis, s, is given as [f(v)]s.
    [f(v)]s = Ass [v]s
    Ass = [ [f(e1)]s [f(e2)]s...[f(en)]s ] (I don't get this part)

There's more to come but I hope to understand this part first before proceeding...

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  5. May 23, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The basic point is this: if we have basis {u, v} then every vector can be written in the form au+ bv and represented as "[itex]\begin{bmatrix}a \\ b\end{bmatrix}[/itex]". In particular, u= 1u+ 0v and is represented as [itex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/itex] while v= 0u+ 1v and is represented as [itex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}[/itex].

Now suppose linear transformation, A, is represented by the matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    Then Au is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a \\ c \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and Av is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}b \\ d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

That is, applying the linear transformation to the basis vectors, and then writing the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors, the coefficents give the columns.

In this particular case,
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}-8 & -4\\ 9 & 4\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ -2\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and we can write [itex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}= -2\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ -2\end{bmatrix}+ 1\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -3\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

so the first column of the matrix representation is [itex]\begin{bmatrix}-2 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Similarly,
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}-8 & -4\\ 9 & 4\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -3\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-4 \\ 6\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and [itex]\begin{bmatrix}-4 \\ 6\end{bmatrix}= 0\begin{bmatrix}1 \\-2\end{bmatrix}- 2\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -3\end{bmatrix}[/itex]
    so the second column is [itex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ -2\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

The matrix representation in this (ordered) basis is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}-2 & 0 \\1 & -2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

6. May 23, 2014 #5

Would the outcome be any different if I first went down the route of

[-8;-9] = α1[1;0] + α2[0;1]
    [-4;4] = β1[1;0] + β1[0;1]

that is, I express each column of the matrix A as a linear combination of the vectors in S.

7. May 23, 2014 #6
    Ok I got this. Basically, all I had to find was [T(x)s]B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted