1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If BC = 0 where B is invertible, show C = 0

1. Dec 16, 2009 #1
    Isn’t it true that if B is invertible then B DNE 0, and if B DNE 0 then the only way to have BC = 0 is to have C = 0?

I'm not seeing (perhaps because I don't want to ;)) how the above is not always true. Can anyone show me an example proving me wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

If B is invertible, then B-1 exists.

If you are given that BC = 0, multiply on the left of both sides by B-1. What do you get?
  4. Dec 16, 2009 #3
    Yes, that I understand (and wish I would've put down on the final!), but what I don't understand is why my initial statement is untrue. That is, why is that not a valid proof that C = 0?
  5. Dec 16, 2009 #4
    haha, I've seen thru the cloud of trying to convince myself I was correct. My error is now obvious!
  6. Dec 16, 2009 #5

Staff: Mentor

Because you didn't use the given information that B is invertible.
    For example, consider these matrices B and C.
    [tex]B~=~\left[\begin{array}{c c}

[tex]C~=~\left[\begin{array}{c c}

For these matrices BC = 0, yet neither B nor C is the zero matrix.
  7. Dec 17, 2009 #6
    Rings of matrices are not in general integral domains (even if the elements are drawn from a field), as Mark44 illustrated with an example. Thus, if you know that BC = 0 and B != 0, you can't conclude that C must be 0 as you would in an integral domain.

This is fairly common, so you should try to keep it in mind. It pops up in a lot of places; matrices are just one example. For instance, the ring of integers modulo 6 is not an integral domain since 2 and 3 are both nonzero but their product is 0 modulo 6. One can also find positive powers of nonzero elements that are zero. Once again using modular arithmetic for an example, the square of two is congruent to 0 modulo 4.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook