Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If CG removed what will happen?

1. Aug 19, 2007 #1
    :confused:every body has definite shape and size and also the centre of gravity.so i want to know a certain body have centre of gravity at certain point.
    if i remove this portion of body then what will happen to the body? and to the centre of gravity?respectively.
    it will be very good for me if you can explain this with help of diagrams.:surprised

Thanking you
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure I understand your question. The center of mass is a mathematical point that is useful for describing some physical properties of a body; it's not a physical part of the body. You can't "remove" the center of mass. (Of course, if you remove any portion of the body, you may affect the location of the center of mass of the remaining material.) Often, the center of mass is not even within the material of the body: For example, the center of mass of a hoop (a donut, say) is in empty space.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?