1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If f'(x) = 10t / ∛(t – 2) and f(8) = –20, calculate f(x).

1. Jul 22, 2014 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem:
    If f'(x) = 10t / ∛(t – 2) and f(8) = –20, calculate f(x).

Solution:
    Let u = t – 2 ⇒ dx = du. Then f(x) = –20 + ∫_8^x [10t / ∛(t – 2)] dt = –20 + ∫_6^(x – 2) [10(u + 2) / ∛(u)] du = –20 + 10 ∫_6^(x – 2) [u^(2/3) + 2u^(–1/3)] du = 30 ∛[(x – 2)^2] + 6(x – 2)^(5/3) – 66 ∛(3) ∛(12) – 20

Additionally, the problem is attached as TheProblem.png, and the solution is attached as TheSolution.png.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure, but I think this has to do with the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand all the algebraic manipulations done; I'm just confused as to how the author went from the problem to the expression f(x) = –20 + ∫_8^x [10t / ∛(t – 2)] dt. Also, is it okay/valid that f'(x) (which is a function of x) = 10t / ∛(t – 2) (which is a function of t)?

Any help in clearing my confusions would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2014 #2
    Remember that when you integrate a function you have find the constant of integration. He just combined the two steps of finding the constant and integrating into one step, essentially.

4. Jul 22, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The integral [itex]\int_a^a h(t)dt= 0[/itex] for any integrable function h. So that [itex]\int_8^x h(t)dt[/itex] gives a function that is 0 when x= 8. Knowing that f(8)= -20 means that [itex]f(x)= -20+ \int_8^x h(t)dt[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted