1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If F'(x) is bounded so is F(x)

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    Hello everybody,
    A few years ago i tried to join a mathematics department and in the relevant exams
    i came up against the following problem. I apologise beforehand if the statement of the problem is a little bit ambiguous because i do not remember it exactly. However, I am sure you will get the point.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

if the first derivative of the real function F(x) is continuous and bounded over the interval [a,b] (or (a,b) ?) , prove that F(x) also is bounded on the interval (a,b) (or [a,b] ?) and the vice versa.

2. Relevant equations
    So we can see that m =< F'(x) =< M.
    How can we get from this into the boundness of the F(x) without falling into pitfalls ?
    What about the vice versa ?
    Should we use the defintion or something else ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I will not attempt to publish the solution I proposed because many of you may laugh.:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2
    For starters, for the "vice-versa" thing to have a fighting chance, it would have to be on a closed interval. For example, x^1/2 is bounded on (0,1] but its derivative is not.

4. Oct 1, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply,

Indeed the "vice-versa" does not hold for every function F(x) as it has also been discussed https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=515616&highlight=bounded+function+derivative".

How can we argue that F(x) is bounded ? :confused: By intuition the statement is obvious ...

Is integrating over (a,t) where t a variable among a and b the inequality m =< F'(x) <= M a good argument ? We will get rid off the derivative by doing so ... :smile:

I have an engineering background so make allowances ...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  5. Oct 1, 2011 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds like an excellent place to start

6. Oct 1, 2011 #5
    Hmmm, you have a function F and you know that is derivative, F' is bounded on [a,b]. But nothing says that F' is continuous, which you would need to prove to be able to use FTC. For example, FTC1 says that if f is continuous on [a,x] and if F(x) is the integral of F(x) from a to x, then F'(X) = f(x). The proof 100% relies on the continuity of f at x. FTC2 (which is the one you are wanting to use) requires the continuity of f, as well.

Now of course, you could still use FTC. However, I would suggest this approach: you know that F'(x) is bounded and you know that it exists at every x in [a,b]. This implies that F is continuous, but you are dealing with a compact (closed and bounded) interval and therefore F is uniformly continuous. Now, say that F is unbounded at some point c. Let epsilon = 1 and show that no matter how close you bring x to c, |F(x) - F(c)| > 1. Now, this is pretty clear since every F(x), x not equal c, is going to be finite, but F(c) isn't finite. Now, there is some care you will have to take to ensure that F(x) is, infact finite for x not equal c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook