If God does exist

Time travel theory: Infinite(or huge) numbers of time strands, with travelers having to go between strands, but unable to visit an earlier point of your own strand.

Theory said by several sources, which I can't seem to remember right now.

However, it'd solve the "Where are the time travelers", and most paradoxes caused by time travel.

Les Sleeth

Gold Member
jackle said:
If we disregard quantum uncertainty completely and assume that the universe is purely deterministic, God is deemed to have kicked the universe off (perhaps with a big bang) in such a way as to fulfill his purposes. If he wanted to do anything different, he could have changed the starting parameters. God would only have to "create" once in order to be in full control. I don't like this version of God very much (it seems a bit Victorian) but determinism wouldn't detract from God's power or abiity. Such a belief in God is still common today.
I can't see how creating something is the same thing as being in full control. I can turn a fan on a pile of feathers and create a feather storm, but I can't control what each feather does. I might create an airplane, but the plane is subject to gravity, weather, etc. as well, which are not under my control.

It doesn't follow that if there is a creator, it can do anything it pleases just because it was powerful/creative enough to bring about creation. A creator might be subject to laws more basic than itself, and have to work with materials that have to be used a certain way to produce anything. If ants compared what they can build to what humans can build, ants might believe humans are able to control all they create. But that's just because they can't imagine what consciousness is like for humans.

Les Sleeth said:
I can't see how creating something is the same thing as being in full control...
No it doesn't automatically follow. If God isn't all knowing, he might not have a clue how his universe will turn out.

Just to be clear, I think it does follow from certain religious beliefs. Specifically it follows from God being omnipotent and omniscient (even in a deterministic universe).

Last edited: