If I suck at Algebra should I even pursue moving forward?

In summary: Plenty of people work in the Science field and don't have an easy time with math. It takes dedication and hard work to do well in math. Moving forward, good. Improving at algebra: good.
meekrobe
Howdy,

As a kid I loved and excelled at Science. However, I was disastrous in all other subjects so moving forwards in anything other than GE was out of the question. I was lazy, got involved with computers instead, and now have a successful career in IT.

I've spent the last six months studying all the introductory math subjects on Khan Academy. I believe I've picked up years of knowledge from this website that allowed me to enroll at my local community college and place into Math 101.

I found all the homework simple to understand and answer correctly, however I bombed my first test. All the questions were alien. I found myself bewildered, months of studying and a solid understanding went out the window at the most basic Algebra test involving inequalities and coordinates.

Is this normal? Do people who work in the Science field come out of High School as mathleets who excel at it thru college or is it a struggle for them too? I was planning going all the way to Calculus but I'm not sure if it's a possibility if I can't even apply Algebra.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is entirely normal. It's not uncommon to find math difficult at every level - even the entry level. That doesn't mean you can't succeed, it just means you have to work a bit harder at it.

I suspect you weren't studying correctly. Did you work a lot of problems? You must, if you want to learn it thoroughly. Were you referring to the book or your notes frequently as you worked problems? If so, it means you're still a bit shaky on how to solve them.

The Khan videos are great, but you still need to work a *lot* of problems.

moving forward: good. improving at algebra: good.

meekrobe said:
Howdy,

As a kid I loved and excelled at Science. However, I was disastrous in all other subjects so moving forwards in anything other than GE was out of the question. I was lazy, got involved with computers instead, and now have a successful career in IT.

I've spent the last six months studying all the introductory math subjects on Khan Academy. I believe I've picked up years of knowledge from this website that allowed me to enroll at my local community college and place into Math 101.

I found all the homework simple to understand and answer correctly, however I bombed my first test. All the questions were alien. I found myself bewildered, months of studying and a solid understanding went out the window at the most basic Algebra test involving inequalities and coordinates.

Is this normal? Do people who work in the Science field come out of High School as mathleets who excel at it thru college or is it a struggle for them too? I was planning going all the way to Calculus but I'm not sure if it's a possibility if I can't even apply Algebra.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

When I entered community college, I placed into remedial algebra. It did me a world of good. Don't fret it.

I understand the frustration and discouragement you may be feeling after your first test in Algebra. However, I want to remind you that one test does not define your abilities or potential in math or any subject. It is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and in their own way. Just because you struggled with Algebra in high school doesn't mean you cannot excel in it now with determination and hard work.

It is also important to note that math is a fundamental component of many scientific fields and having a strong understanding of it can greatly benefit you in your career. Don't let one test discourage you from pursuing your passion for science. Instead, use it as motivation to continue studying and improving your math skills.

As for your question about whether people in the science field are naturally strong in math, the answer is no. While some may have a natural aptitude for it, most scientists have had to work hard to develop their math skills through years of study and practice. It is not uncommon for individuals to struggle with certain subjects and then excel in them later on with determination and hard work.

My advice to you would be to continue studying and practicing Algebra, seeking help from tutors or professors if needed. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification when needed. With perseverance and dedication, I am confident that you can overcome your struggles with Algebra and succeed in your pursuit of higher math and science courses. Keep pushing forward and don't give up on your dreams.

1. What if I struggle with Algebra, should I still continue with my studies?

Yes, even if you find Algebra difficult, it is important to continue with your studies. Algebra is a fundamental subject in math and is used in many other fields, so it is important to have a basic understanding of it.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage if I am not good at Algebra?

It depends on your future career goals. If you plan on pursuing a field that heavily relies on math, such as engineering or science, having a strong foundation in Algebra will be beneficial. However, if you do not plan on using Algebra in your future career, it may not be as crucial.

3. Is it normal to struggle with Algebra?

Yes, it is common for students to struggle with Algebra. It is a complex subject and requires a lot of practice to fully understand. Don't be discouraged if you find it challenging at first, with practice and determination, you can improve.

4. Can I still succeed in other subjects if I am not good at Algebra?

Yes, your performance in one subject does not necessarily determine your success in others. While Algebra may be a difficult subject for you, you may excel in other subjects such as history or English. It is important to find your strengths and work on improving your weaknesses.

5. How can I improve my Algebra skills?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you practice, the more comfortable you will become with Algebra. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial. There are also many online resources and practice problems available to help you improve your skills.