If I want to design UAVs (predator drones) what should I study in school?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Sentience
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Mostly their targeting, navigation, etc. Not their actual flying structure but the systems of the drones.

Computer Science? Computer Engineering? EE? Any of the above?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
some form of engineering. That sort of work is generally done at large companies with a stake in aeronautical work (obviously..) and so the jobs will likely stem from graduate programmes. Just now I would focus on whatever kind of engineering you feel more interested in - then if, at the end of your degree, you still want to work on UAV's you can apply to join a graduate training scheme.
 
Sentience said:
Mostly their targeting, navigation, etc. Not their actual flying structure but the systems of the drones.

Computer Science? Computer Engineering? EE? Any of the above?

I would imagine computer engineering would be the way to go but I'm not sure. I have a friend that works for General Atomics which is the company that built the predator for the government. If I was you I would go to "www.ga.com"[/URL] and then just give them a call or send them an email telling them you are a student and ask if you could get the contact info for one of their engineers so you can interview them about their career. They might not allow it at all but it's worth a shot.
 
Last edited by a moderator: