Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IF I want to research breeder reactors, do I go for NucEng or Nuclear Physics?

  1. Jun 25, 2011 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2011 #2
    If you want to research you should start reading the specific literature.
  4. Jun 26, 2011 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Hope you don't mean me. I know the theory but have no direct experience with breeders. And from my understanding the ones that have been built have not been all that successful. There do seem to be a lot of resources online so start there.
  5. Jun 26, 2011 #4
    If so, here.
    Unlike me many people here can answer on your questions regarding fission reactors.
    I think that some of them are experts in this field.
  6. Jun 29, 2011 #5
    I would recommend you study nuclear engineering.

    Most nuclear physicists study the nucleus and other subatomic particles like quarks Some nuclear physicists are more applied science and work on nuclear reactors, but you won't find many.

    There has been a lot of experience with breeder reactors. I am sure there are several things that need more understanding. Yet, they are a lot of engineering problems to increase the performance of breeders.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  7. Jun 29, 2011 #6


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    The nuclear physics of breeder reactors is well understood.

    The engineering aspects are more challenging. Study nuclear engineering if one wishes to do research concerning breeder reactors. Look at courses in reactor physics (neutron transport theory), materials science, mechanics of materials, fluid mechanics/dynamics, corrosion, . . .
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook