1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other If i want to work overseas, do i need to have citizenship

  1. Feb 26, 2017 #1
    Well, just asking. If i want to work in the USA do i need to change my citizenship to USA and vice versa. If so, is it worth it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2017 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    You will need to have a visa that allows you to work in the US, or a Permanent Resident (Green card) status. These do NOT require a change in citizenship. The visa comes in many different flavors.

    Getting such a visa in the first place is a whole different can of worms, especially now during the Trump regime.

    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. Feb 26, 2017 #3


    User Avatar
    2017 Award

    Staff: Mentor

    Interesting choice of words towards the end ...

    I guess, this is true as well as for Europe. Even if there is no closed term like "green card", it will probably involve a qualified visa.
    And it will make a difference, whether you want to work or only study. The latter should be easier, although even this won't be allowed with a tourist visa. In any case you should address the local embassies and simply ask them.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted

Similar Threads - overseas need citizenship Date
Physics Need advice from a professional Feb 13, 2018
Job Skills How will US companies view an EE PhD from overseas? Nov 8, 2016
Medical Physics in the UK: Coming from overseas? May 21, 2015
Decided to take master and oversea Mar 4, 2012
Engineering Engineering Career Overseas Nov 14, 2006