1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If Kinetic friction is a constant can I accelerate forever?

1. Oct 3, 2009 #1
    If a limiting friction of an object is 10N and the kinetic friction is 5 N.

If I apply a force of 20 N continuosly would I be accelerating with a 5 N force forever.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi sameeralord! :smile:

(limiting friction is the maximum value of static friction)

No … you would be accelerating with a 10 N force forever …

once the object has started moving, you can forget the static friction completely (and you can reduce the applied force).

So if you apply a force of 6 N continuously, you will be accelerating with a 1 N force forever. :wink:

4. Oct 3, 2009 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

You meant 15 N. Right?

5. Oct 3, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right! :smile:

6. Oct 3, 2009 #5
    You do need more and more power to overcome friction. The heat produced will become a problem too.

7. Oct 3, 2009 #6
    Now this is a "work" problem. Are you familiar with "work"?

Work is a measurement of energy, and is equal to force X distance.

In this case, 15N (the force of friction) times the distance the object slides = the heat energy given off (in "joules").

So, when the object is moving faster, it covers more distance per unit time, so it also generates more heat per unit time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook