Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If my rocket has two rocket engines going off each at an impulse at 20.00 N/S .

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    If my rocket has two rocket engines going off each at an impulse at 20.00 N/S.....

If my rocket has two rocket engines going off each at an impulse at 20.00 N/S, then would the total amount of impulse my rocket has be 40.00 N/S?

Please answer seriosuly only this is extremely important and anybody guessing can throw off my calculation and cause the rocket to steer into a house

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2
    first thing i would look at is the aspect of net forces applied to a mass. newton's second law f = m.a we note that the net force is directly proportional to the mass therefore the net force may be affected.

m.a = fa + ff

ok, now lets look at impulse. the real question is will the time value for this force applied remain? fnet = f. ∆t will this change or will the increased mass change the ∆t?

i may not have answered directly but hopefully gave you something to consider.

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3
    Is that a YES or a NO????

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4
    i believe the sum of the forces applied will compensate the resultant impulse.

m.a = (20 + 40) + (fg + air resistance)

therefore the increased impulse is directly proportional to the increased mass.

yes!!!!!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook