If Sterile neutrino and axions exist, is that standard model

In summary, the standard model does not have a dark matter candidate, but axions and/or sterile neutrinos are well-motivated extensions of the standard model. If experiments show that they are part of dark matter, it would still be considered beyond the standard model. However, they could potentially be accommodated into the current standard model. The existence of axions and/or sterile neutrinos alone cannot fully explain dark matter, but they may contribute to the "dark sector". The standard model does not currently incorporate neutrino masses, but they are expected to be included in the future. Axions are also proposed in string theory, but without mass.
kodama
it's commonly stated that the standard model has no dark matter candidate.

axions and/or sterile neutrions are well motivated extensions of the standard model. if experiments show they exist and are a part of dark matter, would this still be within the framework of the standard model, or is it BSM?

would the existence of a standard model that includes axions and/or sterile neutrions still be considered the standard model or something else?

if dark matter consists of axions and/or sterile neutrions or both, then can it be said the standard model does explain dark matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, neither axions nor sterile neutrinos are part of the standard model. Of course, if they were detected, a new standard model would likely develop that include them.

Orodruin said:
No, neither axions nor sterile neutrinos are part of the standard model. Of course, if they were detected, a new standard model would likely develop that include them.
but they can easily be accommodated in the current standard model is my point.

kodama said:

No. SM has no possibilities to explain this.
And if an Axion really exists, then it is not clear what kind of properties it should have in respect of mass. For euclidan space in QCD and even QFT it should have a minimal mass. But in Stringtheory it is mathematically and very hypothetically only a graviton with spin 0 without mass. Then we would have a true problem. I think it doesn't exist. It is only a mathematical curiosity like ghostfields

Likes kodama
kodama said:

They would both be considered BSM. Axions are a species of particle simply not present in the standard model.

Neutrinos, on the other hand, are present- or at least "left handed" neutrinos are. The thing is that in the SM, from the viewpoint of the fundamental definition of the theory, "left and right handed versions" of a particle are basically different types of particle- for example, they have different hypercharges. We call both left and right handed electrons "electrons" because the interactions of both these particles with the Higgs swaps them between each other. Now, for the neutrino to gain a mass in this way is tricky, because it's considerably lighter than everything else, so there are arguments to suggest that the neutrino mass is associated with genuinely radically new physics at an energy scale much higher than any we have ever probed experimentally.

MacRudi said:
No. SM has no possibilities to explain this.
And if an Axion really exists, then it is not clear what kind of properties it should have in respect of mass. For euclidan space in QCD and even QFT it should have a minimal mass. But in Stringtheory it is mathematically and very hypothetically only a graviton with spin 0 without mass. Then we would have a true problem. I think it doesn't exist. It is only a mathematical curiosity like ghostfields

I'd usually require a graviton to have spin 2. Are you thinking of something like a dilaton?

Originally, the Standard Model said that neutrinos were massless, so when it was discovered that neutrinos had mass (which led to this year's Nobel Prize), it was originaly considered an extension of the Standard Model. People would speak of "the Standard Model plus neutrino masses". However, as years passed, it became so firmly established that neutrinos have mass, and it's a relatively small modification of the Standard Model, as opposed to grand unification or supersymmetry, that it became incorporated into the Standard Model. Today, when people say "the Standard Model", they are including within the phrase, the assumption that neutrinos have mass. I predict that people would follow a similar pattern regarding sterile neutrinos and axions. At first, they would be considered an extension of the Standard Model, but as time went on, they incorporated into the Standard Model.

There is probably more than one particle that we collectively refer as "dark matter". Often people speak of the "dark sector". Sterile neutrinos and axions might contribute, but they could not alone, completely explain dark matter.

David Neves said:
Today, when people say "the Standard Model", they are including within the phrase, the assumption that neutrinos have mass.
This is not really true. The phrase "Standard Model" still does not incorporate neutrino masses, mainly because it is not clear how neutrino masses arise or whether or not they are Dirac or Majorana masses. There are several possible mechanisms behind neutrino masses and there is therefore not a single one that can be considered "standard". However, when people are talking about the standard model, they usually do so with the knowledge that it needs to be modified in order to accommodate neutrino masses in one way or another. Luckily (or sadly, depending on the point of view) the low energy effects, i.e., the effects we can see in neutrino oscillation experiments, are essentially identical regardless of how the standard model is extended to include neutrino masses.

muppet said:
I'd usually require a graviton to have spin 2. Are you thinking of something like a dilaton?

Yes Dilaton and Axion are mathematically Gravitons with spin 0
Graviton is the same only with spin 2

But Ed Witten has written a pub about Axion in Stringtheory. I haven't read it so far.
I will look for it.
Axions In String Theory
Peter Svrˇcek
Department of Physics and SLAC, Stanford University, Stanford CA 94305/94309 USA
and Edward Witten Institute For Advanced Study, Princeton NJ 08540 USA
SLAC-PUB-11894 astro-ph/0605206 Mah 2006

axions, in its original motivation,would be a pretty minimal and trivial modification of current SM

MacRudi said:
Yes Dilaton and Axion are mathematically Gravitons with spin 0
Graviton is the same only with spin 2

But Ed Witten has written a pub about Axion in Stringtheory. I haven't read it so far.
I will look for it.
Axions In String Theory
Peter Svrˇcek
Department of Physics and SLAC, Stanford University, Stanford CA 94305/94309 USA
and Edward Witten Institute For Advanced Study, Princeton NJ 08540 USA
SLAC-PUB-11894 astro-ph/0605206 Mah 2006

I looked now in the paper of Ed Witten and Peter Svricek which describes all possibilities in any stringtheorey. An Axion is without mass there. In Stringtheory an Axion is not spontanously symmetry broken like it is predicted in QCD and does not get mass through Higgs mechanism like in QFT. That's the reason.

MacRudi said:
I looked now in the paper of Ed Witten and Peter Svricek which describes all possibilities in any stringtheorey. An Axion is without mass there. In Stringtheory an Axion is not spontanously symmetry broken like it is predicted in QCD and does not get mass through Higgs mechanism like in QFT. That's the reason.

Can I ask why you say they are "like a graviton with spin zero"? To me a graviton is necessarily a spin -2 particle
-the spin, the gauge symmetry corresponding to classical diffeomorphism invariance, and the fact that it couples to the energy-momentum tensor are all closely interrelated.

muppet said:
Can I ask why you say they are "like a graviton with spin zero"? To me a graviton is necessarily a spin -2 particle
-the spin, the gauge symmetry corresponding to classical diffeomorphism invariance, and the fact that it couples to the energy-momentum tensor are all closely interrelated.

because my description is from the string theory. I prefer to think now first from the stringtheory perspective and later compare it with QFT.

What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in physics that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions that make up the universe. It is considered the most successful theory in explaining the behavior of subatomic particles and has been rigorously tested and confirmed through experiments.

What are sterile neutrinos and axions?

Sterile neutrinos and axions are hypothetical particles that are not included in the Standard Model. Sterile neutrinos are proposed to explain the observed neutrino oscillations, while axions are proposed to solve the strong CP problem in quantum chromodynamics.

Do sterile neutrinos and axions exist?

At this point, there is no conclusive evidence for the existence of sterile neutrinos and axions. However, there have been some experimental results that hint at their existence, and further research and experiments are being conducted to confirm their existence.

How would the existence of sterile neutrinos and axions affect the Standard Model?

If sterile neutrinos and axions are proven to exist, they would significantly impact the Standard Model. It would require the model to be revised and expanded to include these particles and their interactions with other particles. It could also potentially provide explanations for some unsolved mysteries in physics.

Are sterile neutrinos and axions compatible with the Standard Model?

The compatibility of sterile neutrinos and axions with the Standard Model is still a topic of ongoing research and debate. Some theories propose that they can be incorporated into the Standard Model, while others suggest that a new model may be needed to fully explain their existence and behavior.