Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A IceCube search for the 'sterile neutrino' draws a blank

1. Aug 8, 2016 #1
    here's a link

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160808091101.htm

yet another null result for BSM physics

so just in 2016 ....
    750 gev diphoton null
    lux and panda x null
    susy lhc null 13 tev @ 12.9 fb-1 (consistent with previous 8 tev 20 fb-1 null)
    sterile neutrino null

so what are the ramification of all these null results for BSM physics?

apparently dark matter might not be WIMPS nor sterile neutrinos within bounds of sensitivity

what are ramifications specific to neutrino physics of a null result on sterile neutrinos?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2016 #2
    Null results don't equate to having no value.
    Effectively ruling out some hypothesis just means that the remaining as yet untested ideas need to be examined more seriously.

4. Aug 8, 2016 #3
    examples plz ty

5. Aug 8, 2016 #4
  6. Aug 8, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Exactly what I thought. You got me while I was looking for the link.
    Proton decay may be considered as another example.

7. Aug 8, 2016 #6
    what i meant was, given the recent null results, what are more promising approaches specifically in bsm physics.
    other than simply adjusting and fine tuning models to evade experimental bounds :( i am well aware that susy wimp, dark matter, etc can be fine tuned to evade any and every null result

hopefully ohwelike and mfmb can offer insights

8. Aug 8, 2016 #7
    Another example would be the many failed attempts to produce a heavier than air flying machine,
    Eventually the wright brothers succeeded by thinking about aerodynamic principles, instead of previous notions like flapping wings, or having 12 wings stacked on top of each other.

9. Aug 9, 2016 #8
    is Seesaw mechanism still in alive?

10. Aug 9, 2016 #9

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The null results achieved basically just further constrain the allowable parameter space for the model. Invalidating the model is no trivial matter, if fact it may be well nigh impossible if you have enough adjustable parameters. Science progresses using a Holmesian approach - eliminate the impossible and whatever remains is the truth.

11. Aug 9, 2016 #10

ohwilleke

Gold Member

The sterile neutrino hypothesis was already on its death bed due to other results, and the statistical significance of the experimental anomalies that suggested the hypothesis in the first place has declined.

12. Aug 9, 2016 #11
    what kind of dark matter is left?

13. Aug 10, 2016 #12

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Basically, all of them. I'm not aware of any candidate that has been conclusively ruled out. PBH"s are probably closest at present. Nearly all of the available parameter space has been excluded.

14. Aug 10, 2016 #13

ohwilleke

Gold Member

The most promising candidates for dark matter are (1) relict keV mass particles that don't interact via the weak force or strong force or electromagnetic force (i.e. warm dark matter), and (2) heavier dark matter particles that don't interact via any of the three SM forces but does have self-interactions via a boson with a mass in the MeV mass range and a coupling strength roughly comparable (to within a couple of orders of magnitude) to that of the electromagnetic (i.e. self-interacting dark matter).

Simulations the consider gravitational feedback of ordinary matter with dark matter, however, somewhat blur the distinction between warm dark matter and cold dark matter models with a bit heavier particles that don't interact via any of the three SM forces.

Any dark matter candidate needs to be very stable (hundreds of millions of years to billions of years at least), and to have a quite low propensity to annihilate into photons or cosmic rays (which name notwithstanding generally are made of highly energetic fermions).

Modifications of gravity in lieu of dark matter are also in the running.

These three alternatives are quite difficult to distinguish with observational evidence. http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.1364

15. Aug 10, 2016 #14
    if they don't interact via weak force or strong force or electromagnetic force how are they produced?

#2 sounds a lot like Feng's 16.7 mev X-boson

16. Aug 11, 2016 #15

ohwilleke

Gold Member

Nobody knows. Presumably by some phenomena that is limited to the dark sector or emerges only at extremely high big bang class energy.

17. Aug 16, 2016 #16

1oldman2

Gold Member

18. Aug 16, 2016 #17

fresh_42

19. Aug 16, 2016 #18

1oldman2

Gold Member

The closing line in http://arxiv.org/abs/1608.03591 "
    "The models also contain vectorlike leptons at the weak scale that may be accessible to near future LHC searches." is intriguing, I would imagine the subject will be getting a lot of attention soon. If confirmed, the discovery of a "5th force" should be good for job security in the field, if not a Nobel. This has got to have the "Dark energy/matter" researchers working overtime.

20. Aug 16, 2016 #19

fresh_42

I still have my doubts about this unconfirmed finding. The energy levels are so small that it makes me wonder why this wasn't detected at one of dozens of labs decades ago. I've read a possible explanation by the authors somewhere but it couldn't really convince me. Someone had to have stumbled over it before. I mean 17 MeV? This is what I really find exciting. If there is something unusual, how couldn't we know? Nevertheless, from my layman point of view (that's why I linked the arXiv sources, because they have a slightly better reputation here :wink:) it's pretty exciting.

21. Nov 15, 2016 #20
    WHAT!! JOHN KERRY at SOUTH POLE on ELECTION DAY ! Something Is Not Right About This

Executive Order -- Coordinating Efforts to Prepare the Nation for Space Weather Events.
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...g-efforts-prepare-nation-space-weather-events
    talks about "Solar flares" a lot.

Now from what this guy is saying Mcmurdo deals with a lot of stuff but one thing stuck out and is related Mcmurdo studies
    https://www.nsf.gov/mobile/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=13420
    Antarctic Astrophysics and Geospace Sciences The polar regions have been called Earth's window to outer space. This term originally applied to study of the aurora and other phenomena related to interaction of solar wind (ionized plasma blown from the Sun) with the Earth's magnetosphere. In this context, the polar upper atmosphere is a screen on which the results of such interaction can be viewed and through which other evidence of space physics processes can pass. Today, the concept of Earth's polar atmosphere as a window also includes research in other fields. For example, favorable atmospheric conditions and the unique location of Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station on the high Antarctic plateau enable astronomers and astrophysicists to use this window to understand better the internal structure of the Sun, to study our Milky Way and other galaxies, and to probe the early Universe with unprecedented precision. Antarctica's deep, clear ice sheet also is a window, providing a transparent medium for detection of neutrinos - elusive particles that fill space and easily pass through Earth.

ICE CUBE @ the South Pole
    https://icecube.wisc.edu/
    IceCube is a particle detector at the South Pole that records the interactions of a nearly massless subatomic particle called the neutrino. IceCube searches for neutrinos from the most violent astrophysical sources: events like exploding stars, gamma-ray bursts, and cataclysmic phenomena involving black holes and neutron stars. The IceCube telescope is a powerful tool to search for dark matter and could reveal the physical processes associated with the enigmatic origin of the highest energy particles in nature. In addition, exploring the background of neutrinos produced in the atmosphere, IceCube studies the neutrinos themselves; their energies far exceed those produced by accelerator beams. IceCube is the world’s largest neutrino detector, encompassing a cubic kilometer of ice.

I think were headed into Gravity wave/belt that will effect the sun. Ibex did some research into this

NASA’s IBEX Observations Pin Down Interstellar Magnetic Field
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...rvations-pin-down-interstellar-magnetic-field

A Major Step Forward in Explaining the Ribbon in Space Discovered by NASA's IBEX Mission
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ibex/news/ribbon-explained.html

Mysterious Energy Ribbon at Solar System's Edge a 'Cosmic Roadmap
    'http://www.space.com/24692-mysterious-energy-ribbon-solar-system.html

Its affecting the earth and sun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted