If the pressure inside cylinder raised to 500 Kpa what is the boilling piont ?

In summary, the boiling point of water depends on the pressure inside the cylinder. At 500 kPa, water will start boiling at a temperature higher than 100 °C. To determine the exact boiling point, one can refer to boiling point tables.
manal950
1 - If the pressure inside cylinder raised to 500 Kpa when the water would start boiling ? and if some of the water heated from 0 degree to the atmospheric pressure when the water start boiling ?

my answer
A )
when it reach temperature of 150 degree

b )
when it reach temperature of 100 degree

Physics news on Phys.org
manal950 said:
A )
when it reach temperature of 150 degree

Where did you got this number from? Looks a little bit too high for me.

because as I know when 100 C the water will start boiling

sorry not 150 just 100 C

No, water definitely boils at more than 100 °C at 500 kPa. Question is - how much. The easiest approach is to look for boiling point tables.

Thank you for your question. I would like to clarify and provide some additional information regarding the boiling point of water in relation to pressure. The boiling point of a substance is the temperature at which its vapor pressure equals the surrounding atmospheric pressure. In this case, the atmospheric pressure is 101.325 kPa.

When the pressure inside the cylinder is raised to 500 kPa, the boiling point of water will also increase. This is because the increased pressure will require a higher temperature for the water's vapor pressure to equal the surrounding pressure and boil. Using a pressure-temperature chart for water, we can estimate that the boiling point of water at 500 kPa would be around 150 degrees Celsius.

To answer the first question, if the pressure inside the cylinder is raised to 500 kPa, the water would start boiling at a temperature of approximately 150 degrees Celsius.

For the second question, if some of the water is heated from 0 degrees Celsius to atmospheric pressure (101.325 kPa), the water would start boiling at a temperature of 100 degrees Celsius. This is because at atmospheric pressure, the boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius.

I hope this clarifies the relationship between pressure and boiling point for water. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is pressure and how does it affect boiling point?

Pressure is the force exerted by a gas or liquid on its container. According to the ideal gas law, when pressure increases, the temperature at which a substance boils also increases. This means that as pressure increases, the boiling point of a substance also increases.

2. How is boiling point determined?

Boiling point is determined by the atmospheric pressure on the surface of the liquid. When the pressure on the surface of the liquid equals the vapor pressure of the liquid, it begins to boil.

3. What is the boiling point at 500 Kpa pressure?

The boiling point at 500 Kpa pressure will vary depending on the substance. However, in general, the boiling point of most liquids increases by about 1°C for every 100 Kpa increase in pressure.

4. How does altitude affect boiling point?

Altitude can affect boiling point because it changes the atmospheric pressure. As altitude increases, atmospheric pressure decreases, which means that the boiling point of a substance will also decrease. This is why it takes longer to cook food at high altitudes.

5. Why does water boil at 100°C at sea level?

Water boils at 100°C at sea level because the atmospheric pressure at sea level is 101.3 Kpa, which is the vapor pressure of water at that temperature. When the pressure on the surface of the water equals its vapor pressure, it begins to boil.