If the Sahara is caused by the Hadley cell, it should ring the Earth like the Hadley cell, surely?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
This photograph:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg
is captioned :'Cloud formations in a famous image of Earth from Apollo 17 makes atmospheric circulation directly visible'
I see no such caption associated with any images on that page.

I see this:

"The Blue Marble" is a famous photograph of the Earth taken on December 7, 1972, by the crew of the Apollo 17 spacecraft en route to the Moon at a distance of about 29,000 kilometres (18,000 mi). It shows Africa, Antarctica, and the Arabian Peninsula.

Likes physicsponderer
I see no such caption associated with any images on that page.

I see this:

"The Blue Marble" is a famous photograph of the Earth taken on December 7, 1972, by the crew of the Apollo 17 spacecraft en route to the Moon at a distance of about 29,000 kilometres (18,000 mi). It shows Africa, Antarctica, and the Arabian Peninsula.
You are correct. My apologies. You can see the photo with the caption if you scroll down on this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadley_cell . I have edited the post accordingly. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:
I wonder what that vertical motion chart https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadley_cell#/media/File:Omega-500-july-era40-1979.png would look like if it were not ' July average ' but for a particular instant.

'500 hPa vertical velocity (Pa/S) in July from ERA-40 reanalysis, 1979-2001 average.

Negative (blue) values represent rising air; positive (red) values indicate sinking air. This map is an excellent illustration of the Hadley cell.' says Wikipedia.

Also, my suspicion that the chart was chosen for it's close correspondence to the Hadley cell theory seems to have been confirmed by the last bit.

Edit by physicsponderer: It would be interesting to see what the chart looks like for a random month average, annual average, decade average, and some randomly selected instants.

Last edited:
DaveC426913
Gold Member
You are correct. My apologies. You can see the photo with the caption if you scroll down on this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadley_cell . I have edited the post accordingly. Thanks for pointing that out.
OK. Atmospheric circulation is pretty directly evident in that pic. Do you not think so?

OK. Atmospheric circulation is pretty directly evident in that pic. Do you not think so?
It's not evident to me. Would you care to explain it?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
It's not evident to me. Would you care to explain it?
Those very long contiguous streamers of cloud banks show the circular interaction of air masses on the scale of thousands of kilometres, notably between temperate and polar latitudes.

Likes russ_watters and physicsponderer
Those very long contiguous streamers of cloud banks show the circular interaction of air masses on the scale of thousands of kilometres, notably between temperate and polar latitudes.
Would you care to expand on that?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I had hoped for some discussion.
You got it. You used a crappy, and ill-specified source for your statement and you got a discussion of your crappy and ill-specified source. As said earlier in the thread, that's why PF insists on acceptable and well-specified sources.

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
You got it. You used a crappy, and ill-specified source for your statement and you got a discussion of your crappy and ill-specified source. As said earlier in the thread, that's why PF insists on acceptable and well-specified sources.
My post was a question. I thought it was clear that I am a beginner at meteorology. The source was simply to provide some context. I am indeed grateful for the interesting discussion.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Would you care to expand on that?
At this point, I think it would make more sense to pass the conch to you, and ask you explain why - when you are directed to "very long contiguous streamers of cloud banks showing the circular interaction of air masses on the scale of thousands of kilometres, notably between temperate and polar latitudes" - you don't see that as "direct evidence of atmospheric circulation".

Alternately, what is the minimum you would reasonably expect to see in order to accept it as direct evidence of atmospheric circulation?

Likes russ_watters
At this point, I think it would make more sense to pass the conch to you, and ask you explain why - when you are directed to "very long contiguous streamers of cloud banks showing the circular interaction of air masses on the scale of thousands of kilometres, notably between temperate and polar latitudes" - you don't see that as "direct evidence of atmospheric circulation".

Alternately, what is the minimum you would reasonably expect to see in order to accept it as direct evidence of atmospheric circulation?
Your statement was useful. I hadn't noticed those streamers, or rather, hadn't noticed how long they are, nor that their length does suggest atmospheric circulation. I meant, 'That's very useful, could you tell me a bit more about that?'. I've looked at that photo so many times over my lifetime, and I never thought properly about those streamers. Didn't really notice them at all.
Having said that, I think 'directly visible to the trained eye' would be more accurate than simply 'directly visible'.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I wonder why the streamers of cloud are concave to the southwest when the westerlies are concave in the opposite direction in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Earth_Global_Circulation_-_en.svg ?
Sorry. Not 'concave' they are either rotating clockwise or rotating counterclockwise.

What we are seeing here is air masses in the southern hemisphere rotating clockwise, as expected:
1610250996938.png

Left pic: Northern hemisphere, Right pic: Southern Hemisphere:
1610251174301.png

BTW, Only the largest storms look like whirlpools. More typical storms look like commas with long tails. The head of the coma is the centre of the storm, so a comma whose head is clockwise from its tail is rotating clockwise, thus:
1610251627174.png

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
I thought 'atmospheric circulation' referred to circulation of air due to the Hadley cells, Ferrel cells, and/or polar cells, not air circulating around a zone of low pressure.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
... air circulating around a zone of low pressure.
Well, it is atmosphere. And it is circulating. So...

DaveC426913
Gold Member
May I ask where you got these two diagrams from?
Google. I searched images for 'clockwise storms in southern hemisphere' or somesuch.