If there is no acceleration, does that mean no force?

In summary: So it is easier to conceptualize if you think of the acceleration as being proportional to the net force. In summary, the statement "no acceleration means no force" is not entirely accurate. While a net force of zero results in no acceleration, there can still be individual forces acting on an object. Force is often defined as a push or pull, but in physics it is more precisely described as "what happens" when a net force is applied. When pushing a box at a constant velocity, there is still a force being applied, but it is being counter-balanced by other forces, such as friction. It is important to consider the net force, not just individual forces, when discussing acceleration.
TheNeezoMan
So last year, I was told by a friend that no Acceleration means no Force, Mathematically, this makes sense
(500 Kg * 0 m/s^2 = 0 N), but intuitively, I can't wrap my head around it. Maybe this is because of language and the way we use the word force in normal conversation, but in physics it is also defined as a push or pull. So If I am pushing a box at a constant velocity (0 acceleration),does that mean I am not applying a force? Another thing that makes me believe that a force is applied is that I was told by my professor in lecture that (force is not actually
Mass * Acceleration, but rather "It's What Happens".) Please help me wrap my head around this.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheNeezoMan said:
So If I am pushing a box at a constant velocity (0 acceleration),does that mean I am not applying a force?
It is being counter-balanced by surface friction**.
If you removed the surface friction, but kept the force, the box would begin to accelerate. To keep it at a constant velocity, you would have to stop applying a force.

**or, I suppose, air resistance, if you're, like, Superman or something.

Likes TheNeezoMan
TheNeezoMan said:
So last year, I was told by a friend that no Acceleration means no Force

Not true. No acceleration means no net force, not that there isn't any force. I'm certainly applying a force on my chair right now. 155 pounds of force to be exact.

Likes TheNeezoMan
Drakkith said:
Not true. No acceleration means no net force, not that there isn't any force. I'm certainly applying a force on my chair right now. 155 pounds of force to be exact.
Does 10000 kgs of air count? Or it is canceled out by the air underneath the chair.

Likes TheNeezoMan
Neon said:
Does 10000 kgs of air count? Or it is canceled out by the air underneath the chair.

Yes, it is canceled by the air underneath. Well, more like opposed instead of cancelled. There is certainly a force on all sides of the chair from either the air, myself, or the ground (or a combination of them). There's no net force because they all oppose each other equally.

Likes TheNeezoMan
TheNeezoMan said:
So last year, I was told by a friend that no Acceleration means no Force, Mathematically, this makes sense
(500 Kg * 0 m/s^2 = 0 N), but intuitively, I can't wrap my head around it. Maybe this is because of language and the way we use the word force in normal conversation, but in physics it is also defined as a push or pull. So If I am pushing a box at a constant velocity (0 acceleration),does that mean I am not applying a force?

Not necessarily. It means that the sum or net force on the box is zero. For example if the force you apply exactly matches that of friction the the net force is zero. The box can be moving but not accelerating.

Another thing that makes me believe that a force is applied is that I was told by my professor in lecture that (force is not actually
Mass * Acceleration, but rather "It's What Happens".) Please help me wrap my head around this.

You would have to ask your prof what he means.

Back to the box example. It would be reasonable to write..

Fnet = Fyou - Ffriction = mass * acceleration

Then if the force you apply is just equal to friction the acceleration is zero.

Likes Neon and TheNeezoMan

What is the relationship between acceleration and force?

The relationship between acceleration and force is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, if there is no acceleration, there is no net force acting on the object.

Does the absence of acceleration always mean there is no force?

No, the absence of acceleration does not always mean there is no force. While it is true that if there is no net force acting on an object, it will not accelerate, this does not mean that there are no forces acting on the object. There may be multiple forces acting on an object, but if they cancel each other out, the net force and therefore the acceleration will be zero.

What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces refer to a situation where the forces acting on an object are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero and no acceleration. Unbalanced forces, on the other hand, refer to a situation where the forces acting on an object are not equal and result in a net force that causes the object to accelerate.

Are there any situations where there is no acceleration but there is still force?

Yes, there are situations where there is no acceleration but there is still force. For example, an object moving at a constant velocity in a straight line has no acceleration, but there is still a force acting on it - the force of friction. In this case, the force of friction is equal and opposite to the force propelling the object forward, resulting in no net force and no acceleration.

Can an object be in motion without any force acting on it?

No, according to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. This means that in order for an object to be in motion, there must be a force acting on it.