If you jump off a bridge 50m above the water does the water need to be 50m deep?

In summary, the depth of the water and the quality of the water are important factors to consider when jumping off a bridge. The higher the height, the more complicated the impact becomes, taking into account factors such as air resistance and resistance of the water. It is important to hit the water at a certain angle and to have proper equipment to increase chances of survival. Additionally, the depth and cleanliness of the water should also be taken into consideration.
methane?

you don't mean 'landfill' or 'ocean/river' bottom methane, do you?

Physics news on Phys.org
I heard (must have been on the Discovery Channel) a theory that ships in the Bermuda triangle were sunk by large outgassing of methane due to an underwater landslide. Maybe "ocean bottom" methane.

Oct. 2007 Physics Today happens to have a related article (not about sinking ships, but gas storage) "Clathrate hydrates under pressure."

Loren Booda said:
I heard (must have been on the Discovery Channel) a theory that ships in the Bermuda triangle were sunk by large outgassing of methane due to an underwater landslide. Maybe "ocean bottom" methane.

ahhhh, it's from all those bean-eating Atlanteans still living down there---

If i drop a rock off this bridge approximately how long should it take to hit the water if it is 10-15m below?

JimmyJockstrap said:
If i drop a rock off this bridge approximately how long should it take to hit the water if it is 10-15m below?

you got to do your physics. do you know what the relevant equations are?

[tex] d = \frac{1}{2}a t^2 [/tex]