Ignoring the sign of a charge in electromagnetism

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
FatPhysicsBoy
Messages
62
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I just did a question on a charge moving relative to a stationary charge from an initial position x1 to a final position x2. I was under the impression that for questions involving coulombs law, and the equations for Electric Field Strength, Force and Potential we ignore any -ve signs on charges?

So after checking my answer I saw that I had the right magnitude but the wrong sign. The only thing I did differently was take the charge in my equation for the potential as 4μC instead of -4μC as can be seen on line 4 of the calculation below.

Homework Equations



wh1lv.png


The Attempt at a Solution



Any insight into this will be greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org