Im a physics major and i want to specialize in opticsany

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in specializing in optics as a physics major and their desire to make good money while also conducting research. Suggestions for universities specializing in optics and meta-materials are given, including University of Rochester, University of Arizona, Duke, Purdue, UC Berkeley, New York University, and Emory. The speaker also mentions Arjun Yodh at Penn and Eric Weeks at Emory as potential options for research opportunities.
aryan_605
im a physics major and i want to specialize in optics..
any suggestions which path and university i should follow
what would a good idea as of making good money in future and also doing research by specializing in optics (physics)

Physics news on Phys.org

University of Rochester and University of Arizona would be among the top.

thank you friend...
i ultimately i want to research in meta-materials...
any university who would be doing that..
i was thinking about penn state..
how does tat sounds

That's a "hot" topic these days, so you could probably find lot more information that I could list here. But some other places you could look into are Duke and Purdue. I think there might be some work in this area at UC Berkely too.

aryan_605 said:
thank you friend...
i ultimately i want to research in meta-materials...
any university who would be doing that..
i was thinking about penn state..
how does tat sounds

I include colloidal materials/artifical opal/photonic bandgap materials under metamaterials.

I know Arjun Yodh at Penn, and he is excellent. New York university has a new soft matter group doing similar work as well. There's a guy at Emory who is good (Eric Weeks), you have quite a large pool of possibilities.

1. What is optics and what do you specialize in as a physics major?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light. As a physics major specializing in optics, you will focus on understanding how light interacts with matter and how it can be manipulated to create new technologies and applications.

2. What are some potential career paths for a physics major specializing in optics?

There are various career paths you can pursue with a specialization in optics, including working as a research scientist in academic or government institutions, working in the private sector for companies that develop optical technologies, or even pursuing a career in teaching in the field of optics and photonics.

3. What are some important skills and knowledge needed to succeed in the field of optics?

To succeed in optics, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and differential equations, as well as a solid understanding of classical and quantum mechanics. Additionally, skills in data analysis, computer programming, and experimental design are crucial for conducting research in this field.

4. What are some current advancements or developments in the field of optics?

There are numerous exciting advancements being made in the field of optics, such as the development of new materials for use in optical technologies, the creation of ultrafast lasers for high-speed data communication, and the use of optics in medical imaging and diagnostics. Other areas of research include quantum optics, optical computing, and nanophotonics.

5. Can a physics major specializing in optics also work in other fields?

Yes, a physics major with a specialization in optics can also work in other fields, such as engineering, materials science, or even finance. The skills and knowledge gained through a degree in optics can be applied in various industries and can open up a wide range of career opportunities.