1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm confused by what the professor means on this Fourier Series proble

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See the second bullet point on this page: http://facweb.northseattle.edu/rjenne/e240w13flr/hwflr/feb21/e240w13hwfeb21.pdf

2. Relevant equations

So I know that fft(x) for a bunch of sample points x={x1, x2, ..., xn} returns the n Fourier coefficients for a function fitted through those sample points.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I'm a little confused about what the 1/31 and the c mean in the context of this problem. What I'm trying to do, ultimately, is use the Fast Fourier Transform algorithm on 31 equally spaced sample points on the domain [1, 4] to reconstruct the function on 3001 equally spaced sample points on the same domain.

Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

How is the Fourier transform normalized? And can you see any link between what I put in bold there?

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3
    Now I've figured out that problem, but I'm confused on a different problem where I have to use the MATLAB function odeset to change absolute and relative tolerance. Do you know how to do that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted