Complex Fourier Series Coeffcients; what are they?

In summary: So the coefficients can be thought of as representing the frequencies of the sinusoids.In summary, the complex Fourier series coefficients are the amplitudes of the sinusoids. They represent the frequencies of the sinusoids and are important for understanding and manipulating the frequencies of sinusoids.
CE Trainee
Complex Fourier Series Coeffcients; what are they? what do they represent?

Homework Statement

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but it seems appropriate. I just started an intro signals and systems course at my university at the beginning of this semester. We started Complex Fourier Series wednesday and after the lecture, I was confused about a couple of things.

I took an electrical engineering math class last semester that introduced the fundamental math that EE's should know. It didn't go into too much detail but it covered the basics. My problem is in both classes, the professors introduced complex Fourier series and talked about finding the coefficients. They never said what the complex coefficients actually are or what they represent or what they are used for. Thats my question. What are the Fourier series coefficients? What do they represent and why are they important? I suppose I could mindlessly chug through the formulas but I like to understand things in their entirety.

Also, if anyone can recommend some supplemental reading and exercises that really helps explain the material, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking what the Fourier series of a function is or means? The Wikipedia entry on Fourier series provides a good introduction. They start out with real sine and cosine series because in that case it's a little easier to visualize what's going on, but that doesn't really matter -- the exponential series is just a much nicer way to keep track of all the same information.

A "complex Fourier series" is of the form [itex]f(x)= \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_n e^{inx}[/itex]. Essentially, you can think of the functions [itex]e^{inx}[/itex] as an orthonormal basis for an infinite dimensional vector space (where the inner product is defined as [/itex]<f, g>=1/(2\pi i) \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)\overline{g}(x)dx[/itex], where the [itex]1/(2\pi i)[/itex] "normalizes" the "basis vectors". From that, then, the coefficients are given by [itex]a_n= 1/(2\pi i)\int_{-\infty}^\infty} f(x)e^{inx}dx[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
A "complex Fourier series" is of the form [itex]f(x)= \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_n e^{inx}[/itex]. Essentially, you can think of the functions [itex]e^{inx}[/itex] as an orthonormal basis for an infinite dimensional vector space (where the inner product is defined as [/itex]<f, g>=1/(2\pi i) \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)\overline{g}(x)dx[/itex], where the [itex]1/(2\pi i)[/itex] "normalizes" the "basis vectors". From that, then, the coefficients are given by [itex]a_n= 1/(2\pi i)\int_{-\infty}^\infty} f(x)e^{inx}dx[/itex].

What are the "coefficients"? What do they represent? Are they amplitudes of the sinusoids? Thats what I don't understand. The professor asks to find the coefficients but doesn't explain what they are.

CE Trainee said:
What are the "coefficients"? What do they represent? Are they amplitudes of the sinusoids? Thats what I don't understand. The professor asks to find the coefficients but doesn't explain what they are.

Yes, exactly the amplitudes of the sinusoids; the coefficients are the quantities [tex]a_n[/tex] in HallsOfIvy's post above.

If you expand a real function [itex]f(x)[/itex], you can show that [itex]c_n = c_{-n}^*[/itex]. If you write [itex]c_n = (a_n + i b_n)/2[/itex], you can then combine the [itex]e^{inx}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-inx}[/itex] terms and get

[tex]c_ne^{inx}+c_{-n}e^{-inx} = a_n\frac{e^{inx}+e^{-inx}}{2}+ib_n\frac{e^{inx}-e^{-inx}}{2} = a_n\cos(nx)-b_n\sin(nx)[/tex]

So you can think of the complex series as shorthand for the sine and cosine series.

Another way of thinking about [itex]c_n[/itex] is that it contains all of the information about the nth frequency component, both amplitude and phase.

What is a complex Fourier series?

A complex Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function in terms of a sum of complex exponential functions. It is used to decompose a complicated function into simpler components.

How are complex Fourier series coefficients calculated?

The complex Fourier series coefficients are calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the function being analyzed with respect to the corresponding frequency. This process is known as Fourier analysis.

What do complex Fourier series coefficients represent?

Complex Fourier series coefficients represent the amplitude and phase of each component of the periodic function. They indicate the strength and timing of each frequency present in the function.

What are the applications of complex Fourier series coefficients?

Complex Fourier series coefficients have many applications in fields such as signal processing, image and audio compression, and solving differential equations. They are also used in analyzing the frequency content of signals and in harmonic analysis.

How do complex Fourier series coefficients differ from real Fourier series coefficients?

Complex Fourier series coefficients are used to represent complex-valued functions, while real Fourier series coefficients are used for real-valued functions. Complex Fourier series coefficients also include information about the phase of each component, while real Fourier series coefficients only provide information about amplitude.