I'm having trouble understanding the following sentence from Schutz's

• Thread starter schwarzschild
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the convention of using lower and upper indices to represent components of one-forms and vectors, respectively. It also explains how to act with a vector on a dual basis and how this corresponds to the components of the vector. The transformation of components with lower indices is different from those with upper indices, which are referred to as "covariant" and "contravariant", respectively.
schwarzschild
I'm having trouble understanding the following sentence from Schutz's A First Course in General Relativity, so I was hoping someone could explain/expound on it. "
[tex] p_a \equiv \widetilde{p}( \vec{e_{\alpha} ) } ) [/tex] Any component with a single lower index is, by convention, the component of a one-form; an upper index denotes the component of a vector."

Physics news on Phys.org

If I have a vector X, I can write it in component form as

[tex]
X = X^{\mu}e_{(\mu)}
[/tex]

I put round brackets around the mu index of the basis vector e to indicate that for every mu we have a whole vector, not just one component! Now, I can act with this vector X on the dual basis:

[tex]
X(e^{(\nu)}) = X^{\mu} e_{(\mu)} (e^{(\nu)}) = X^{\mu}\delta_{\mu}^{\nu} = X^{\nu}
[/tex]
In words: acting with the vector X on the dual basis means acting with the basis on the dual basis, times the components of X. By definition this gives me a delta function times the components of X, which equals the components of X. This holds for every tensor T in general; you could try it for, say, a rank (2,1) tensor T.

Components with lower indices transform different from components with upper indices; the latter we sometimes call "contravariant", the former "covariant" ( co goes below ).

What does Schutz mean by "the following sentence"?

When Schutz refers to "the following sentence", he is talking about the specific sentence that is mentioned or referenced in the previous sentence or paragraph.

How can I improve my understanding of Schutz's writing style?

To better understand Schutz's writing style, it is helpful to read other works by him and familiarize yourself with his language and terminology. It may also be beneficial to read secondary sources or seek out explanations from other scholars in the field.

Can you provide an example of a sentence from Schutz's work?

One example of a sentence from Schutz's work is "The meaning of an object for a person is determined by the social objectification of the object in question."

What are some common themes in Schutz's writing?

Some common themes in Schutz's writing include social phenomenology, intersubjectivity, and the role of the individual in society.

Why is it important to understand Schutz's ideas and theories?

Understanding Schutz's ideas and theories can provide insight into the social world and how individuals perceive and interact with it. It can also contribute to the development of new perspectives and approaches in social science research.