I'm having trouble with this circuit problem - Power

In summary, the conversation is discussing a homework problem involving a circuit where the power output of each power supply and the power conserved by each resistor needs to be determined. The multiple lines in the problem are causing confusion and the person is seeking help. They are also asking for clarification on how to approach the problem and if there are any similar examples available for reference. The solution involves solving loop equations to determine the current in the loops, which can then be used to calculate the power output and conservation.
JMoore0150
The homework problem is attached as a .jpg file and it states:
"For this circuit, determine the Power Output of each Power Supply & the Power Conserved by Each Resistor. The multiple lines kind of threw me for a loop for the 10v & 20V. Thanks and any help is much appreciated.

Jimbo Moore

Attachments

• Circuit Problem C.jpg
    Circuit Problem C.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
JMoore0150 said:
The homework problem is attached as a .jpg file and it states:
"For this circuit, determine the Power Output of each Power Supply & the Power Conserved by Each Resistor. The multiple lines kind of threw me for a loop for the 10v & 20V. Thanks and any help is much appreciated.

Jimbo Moore

Your attachment is awaiting approval. Perhaps you can host it somewhere else (such as photobucket) and we can help you a bit quicker.

You need to write 2 loop equations for the inner loops, remembering to take the current through the middle resistor as the sum of the 2 currents.

Pick a direction for the current in each loop and then add voltages around the loop. They should add to 0 over any closed loop.

You will have 2 equations. And you will have 2 unknowns I1 and I2. Just solve.

So where does the power output of the "power supply" and the power "Conserved" come into play with the equation? Why is there 2 ends to each voltage? That's throwing me off and so is trying to understand what exactly it is asking for. What directions do these 2 voltages cause throughout the circuit? Thanks!

Also, is there any examples on here or elsewhere that anyone knows of that have vast similarities to this equation? Or if I am to search for it, what should my keywords be? Thanks again!

As a first step don't you think you need to determine the current in the loops, so you can address the V*I of the voltage sources and the resistors?

1. What is power in a circuit?

Power in a circuit is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. It is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I).

2. How do I calculate power in a circuit?

To calculate power in a circuit, you can use the formula P = V * I, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps. Alternatively, you can also use the formula P = I^2 * R, where R is resistance in ohms.

3. What is the relationship between power and voltage in a circuit?

Power and voltage have a direct relationship in a circuit. This means that as voltage increases, so does power, and vice versa. This is because power is equal to voltage multiplied by current, and increasing one of these variables will result in an increase in power.

4. How does power affect the components in a circuit?

The power in a circuit can affect the components in different ways depending on the type of component. For resistors, power is converted into heat, which can cause the resistor to overheat and potentially fail. For other components such as light bulbs, power is converted into light and heat. Exceeding the power rating of a component can cause it to malfunction or be damaged.

5. What are some common troubleshooting steps for power issues in a circuit?

If you are having trouble with a circuit and suspect it is a power issue, here are some common troubleshooting steps to follow:
1. Check the power source to ensure it is providing the correct voltage and is functioning properly.
2. Check all connections in the circuit to make sure they are secure and not loose.
3. Measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit to identify any inconsistencies.
4. Check the power rating of all components in the circuit and make sure they are not being exceeded.
5. If possible, try replacing components to see if any are faulty.
6. Consult a schematic or seek assistance from a professional if you are still having trouble.