1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm having trouble with this circuit problem - Power

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    The homework problem is attached as a .jpg file and it states:
    "For this circuit, determine the Power Output of each Power Supply & the Power Conserved by Each Resistor. The multiple lines kind of threw me for a loop for the 10v & 20V. Thanks and any help is much appreciated.
    Best,
    Jimbo Moore

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2
    Your attachment is awaiting approval. Perhaps you can host it somewhere else (such as photobucket) and we can help you a bit quicker.

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Mar 30, 2009 #4
  6. Mar 30, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You need to write 2 loop equations for the inner loops, remembering to take the current through the middle resistor as the sum of the 2 currents.

Pick a direction for the current in each loop and then add voltages around the loop. They should add to 0 over any closed loop.

You will have 2 equations. And you will have 2 unknowns I1 and I2. Just solve.

7. Mar 31, 2009 #6
    So where does the power output of the "power supply" and the power "Conserved" come into play with the equation? Why is there 2 ends to each voltage? That's throwing me off and so is trying to understand what exactly it is asking for. What directions do these 2 voltages cause throughout the circuit? Thanks!

8. Mar 31, 2009 #7
    Also, is there any examples on here or elsewhere that anyone knows of that have vast similarities to this equation? Or if I am to search for it, what should my keywords be? Thanks again!

9. Mar 31, 2009 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

As a first step don't you think you need to determine the current in the loops, so you can address the V*I of the voltage sources and the resistors?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook