1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm having trouble with this homework problem Current & Magnetic Field

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1
    I'm having trouble with this homework problem!! Current & Magnetic Field!!!

This problem deals with current and the magnetic fields around these 2 parallel wires. The question is listed below, as is the link to the picture. Thanks SO Much for your help!!!

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt59/JMoore4116/PHY232--Ch31--3-18.jpg

If that one doesn't work, try this one:
    http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt59/JMoore4116/?action=view&current=PHY232--Ch31--3-18.jpg

3.18 Two long parallel wires are separated by a distance of 2.00 m. The two points P1 and P2 divide that distance into three equal parts. Each wire carries a current in the same direction. The current I2 is 3.00 A, as shown in the illustration, and the current I1 is "tuned" so that the strength of the magnetic field at the point P1 is zero. (a) What is the strength of the resulting magnetic field at P2? (b) Suppose the current I1 were re-tuned to produce zero magnetic field at P2. What would be the resulting magnetic field at P1?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: I'm having trouble with this homework problem!! Current & Magnetic Field!!!

Can you find the expression for a field at a point due to current current long wire?

4. Apr 6, 2009 #3

Do you know the formula for magnetic field from a single conductor? Also, do you know how to apply the superposition principle? If you know both of these, you can figure out the answer. If not, then read up on that which you do not know, and then it will be clear.

5. Apr 6, 2009 #4

I need to know how to figure out the current at I1 & the strength of the magnetic field @ P2, that's what has me stumped.

6. Apr 6, 2009 #5

I can't answer until I know the answer to my first two questions. Do you know the formula for magnetic field from a single conductor and do you know how to apply the superposition principle? If you know both of those things, then it is easy to calculate the answers, and I can give hints about this. If you don't know those two critical things then I can direct you to the right information about them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook