I'm having trouble with this homework problem Current & Magnetic Field

In summary: However, until then, I can't help you.In summary, the magnetic field at point P2 is due to the current I1 flowing through the wire. If the current I1 were re-tuned to produce zero magnetic field at P2, then the magnetic field at P1 would also be zero.
JMoore0150
I'm having trouble with this homework problem! Current & Magnetic Field!

This problem deals with current and the magnetic fields around these 2 parallel wires. The question is listed below, as is the link to the picture. Thanks SO Much for your help!

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt59/JMoore4116/PHY232--Ch31--3-18.jpg

If that one doesn't work, try this one:
http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt59/JMoore4116/?action=view&current=PHY232--Ch31--3-18.jpg

3.18 Two long parallel wires are separated by a distance of 2.00 m. The two points P1 and P2 divide that distance into three equal parts. Each wire carries a current in the same direction. The current I2 is 3.00 A, as shown in the illustration, and the current I1 is "tuned" so that the strength of the magnetic field at the point P1 is zero. (a) What is the strength of the resulting magnetic field at P2? (b) Suppose the current I1 were re-tuned to produce zero magnetic field at P2. What would be the resulting magnetic field at P1?

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you find the expression for a field at a point due to current current long wire?

JMoore0150 said:
This problem deals with current and the magnetic fields around these 2 parallel wires. The question is listed below, as is the link to the picture. Thanks SO Much for your help!

Do you know the formula for magnetic field from a single conductor? Also, do you know how to apply the superposition principle? If you know both of these, you can figure out the answer. If not, then read up on that which you do not know, and then it will be clear.

I need to know how to figure out the current at I1 & the strength of the magnetic field @ P2, that's what has me stumped.

JMoore0150 said:
I need to know how to figure out the current at I1 & the strength of the magnetic field @ P2, that's what has me stumped.

I can't answer until I know the answer to my first two questions. Do you know the formula for magnetic field from a single conductor and do you know how to apply the superposition principle? If you know both of those things, then it is easy to calculate the answers, and I can give hints about this. If you don't know those two critical things then I can direct you to the right information about them.

1. What is the relationship between current and magnetic field?

The relationship between current and magnetic field is described by Ampere's law, which states that a magnetic field is created around a current-carrying conductor. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current flowing through the conductor.

2. How can I calculate the magnetic field produced by a current?

The magnetic field produced by a current can be calculated using the right-hand rule, which states that the direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of the current and can be determined by pointing the thumb of your right hand in the direction of the current and curling your fingers. The strength of the magnetic field can also be calculated using the equation B = μ0 * I / 2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is affected by the current, the distance from the current, and the permeability of the material through which the current is passing. The strength of the magnetic field is also affected by the shape and orientation of the current-carrying conductor.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field?

The direction of the current directly affects the direction of the magnetic field. According to the right-hand rule, the direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of the current. Therefore, changing the direction of the current will also change the direction of the magnetic field.

5. How can I use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field?

The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field by pointing the thumb of your right hand in the direction of the current and curling your fingers. The direction of the magnetic field will be in the direction that your fingers curl. This rule can also be used to determine the direction of the current if the direction of the magnetic field is known.