I'm in community college at the moment taking math courses

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's current academic pursuits in community college and their interest in pursuing a major in Physics. They are curious about the level of math courses required for a Physics major and seek advice from others. The responses mention various advanced math courses that are beneficial for Physics, such as Vector Analysis, PDEs, Complex Analysis, Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra, and Differential Geometry. It is suggested that a strong foundation in math is necessary for success in Physics studies.
offtheleft
I'm in community college at the moment. I'm sure a few of you have witnessed me make a fool of my self goofing-off on the forums not so long ago. But, I'm curious as to what comes... next?

As far as math is concerned, that is.

After looking through the booklet with the course selections and looking through the classes on-line I became a bit... not sure how to put it but, interested? maybe?

Starting at the freshmen (100) level courses:
Precalculus
Calculus and analytical Geometry I
Calculus and analytical Geometry II

Sophomore (200) level courses:
Introduction to Discrete mathematics
Liner Algebra
Calculus and analytical Geometry III
and, Differential Equations
I sifted through a few websites belonging to four-year colleges and universities and still didnt see anything going over calculus 3. But, I've heard stories of it going up to and past XII.

Can anyone throw me some information on this? or is that it? The CC in which I am attending, my major is Physics. They don't offer Astronomy or Astrophysics. Just a 200 level course, "Intro. To Stellar and Galactic Astronomy." When I transfer out to a four-year school. I'll be majoring in Astronomy or Astrophysics, depending on the programs offered and the schools I can get into. Yeah, I messed up in high school.

After Calc III do I only see what was learned in those classes and apply it to physics or is there more madness ahead?

Physics news on Phys.org

I've never heard of calculus past Calc IV, and even that is non-standard.

My father is an engineer and he took those classes plus Partial Differential Equations and and some "advanced math for engineers" business.

For engineering disciplines almost all programs stop at differential equations mathwise.

For physics i know you continue, but it depends on where you are. It may not be obvious. I know at penn state phys 497 is the same exact course as math 497 but different majors put it on there transcript differently.

Most Physics majors I knew also took Vector Analysis, PDEs, Complex Analysis, Real Analysis, some even took Abstract Algebra. There is plenty of math to learn :smile:

mattmns said:
Most Physics majors I knew also took Vector Analysis, PDEs, Complex Analysis, Real Analysis, some even took Abstract Algebra. There is plenty of math to learn :smile:

i hope so, because i want to learn a lot.

As I'm learning at the minute there's also the calculus of functionals (take a curve between two points and map it to a single number e.g. by integration... ) which underpins Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. If you want to study general relativity there's differential geometry at its heart (specifically Riemannian geometry); particle theory rests heavily on group theory; and if you want to do string theory (chuckles) then solitons (non-dispersive solutions to non-linear differential equations), topology, elliptic functions (advanced calculus of comple variables) all come in handy (or so I'm given to understand! :wink:).
So essentially, you should really do an undergraduate degree in maths before attempting one in physics :biggrin:

At my school the only required maths for Physics are Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra & Matrix Theory, and Differential Equations I-II.

1. What math courses are typically offered at community colleges?

Community colleges usually offer a wide range of math courses, including algebra, trigonometry, calculus, statistics, and differential equations.

2. Are community college math courses transferable to four-year universities?

Yes, most community college math courses are transferable to four-year universities. However, it is important to check with the specific university you plan to transfer to in order to ensure that the credits will transfer.

3. How do community college math courses compare to those at four-year universities?

The content and difficulty level of community college math courses are generally similar to those at four-year universities. However, the class sizes may be smaller at community colleges, allowing for more individualized attention from instructors.

4. Is it possible to complete a math degree at a community college?

Yes, community colleges offer associate's degrees in math, which can be a great starting point for pursuing a bachelor's degree in math at a four-year university.

5. How can community college math courses benefit me?

There are many benefits to taking math courses at a community college. These include lower tuition costs, smaller class sizes, and the opportunity to improve math skills before transferring to a four-year university. Additionally, community college math courses can help fulfill general education requirements for a variety of majors.