I'm searching for a specific book with the derivation of ##E\propto v^2##?

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation of ##E\propto v^2## in a distinct form, without using the formula ##E=Fdx##, calculus of variations, or special relativity. The individual is looking for a reference for this derivation and asks for help in finding it. Another individual provides a simple derivation using the work-energy theorem and suggests that it can be found in most introductory textbooks. However, the original individual still asks for a specific reference and mentions that it may not be found in "Landau, Lifshitz."
exponent137
TL;DR Summary
I ask for the reference for the following derivation of ##E\propto v^2## or a similar one.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-final-explanation-to-why-kinetic-energy-is-proportional-to-velocity-squared.78484/#post-609992
Twice I found the following derivation of ##E\propto v^2## in a little distinct forms.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...tional-to-velocity-squared.78484/#post-609992
The derivation is in post #9, if it is not shown properly.

This means, this derivation is without ##E=Fdx## formula, without calculus of variations, without special relativity, etc.

I am interested, what is a reference for this or any other similar derivation. What I heard additionally that this is not in the book
"Landau and Lifgarbagez Classical Mechanics ", that this was written by a russian author, somewhere after 1950, translated in English, in a red cover.

The most probably, this is neither this book of Arnold:
https://loshijosdelagrange.files.wo...tical-methods-of-classical-mechanics-1989.pdfas I searched in it.

Similar but not so specific questions were given twice already. But they were not answered.

NOTE:
Can I ask that you leave this question unanswered if you do not know a precise answer. In such a case it will stay in "UNANSWERED THREADS", this means that someone will notice this thread some day and will answer to this. In the opposite case, this thread will be hidden somewhere in PF, and no one will answer to it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
SR says energy of a particle of mass m is
[tex]E=\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}=mc^2\{1+1/2(v/c)^2+3/8(v/c)^4+...\}[/tex]
[tex]=mc^2 + 1/2 \ mv^2 + 3mc^2/8 \ (v/c)^4 + ...[/tex]
With the constant term ##mc^2## and higher ##(v/c)^{2n}## ,where n>1, terms we cannot say E is proportional to ##v^2## any more.

mitochan said:
Hi.
SR says energy of a particle of mass m is
[tex]E=\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}=mc^2\{1+1/2(v/c)^2+3/8(v/c)^4+...\}[/tex]
[tex]=mc^2 + 1/2 \ mv^2 + 3mc^2/8 \ (v/c)^4 + ...[/tex]
With the constant term ##mc^2## and higher ##(v/c)^{2n}## ,where n>1, terms we cannot say E is proportional to ##v^2## any more.

Yes, but SR can also be used for the derivation of ##E\propto v^2## in Newtonian mechanics.

But here I wish a reference for the derivation, which I linked. Now a theory behind it is not so important for me, as the reference for this book, where the derivation for https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...tional-to-velocity-squared.78484/#post-609992 is written.

If no one knows this reference, maybe someone knows some hint for it. I also searched in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_physicists, but even Vladimir Igorevich Arnold is not written in the link, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Arnold. But here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_mathematicians he is.

Last edited:
exponent137 said:
What I heard additionally that this is not in the book
"Landau and Lifgarbagez Classical Mechanics ", that this was written by a russian author, somewhere after 1950, translated in English, in a red cover.
Incidentally, since you sound uncertain about it, this book is by Landau and Lifshitz. I believe Greg ran an overzealous profanity filter over PF at some point, and it edited the latter's name in quite a few posts.

Likes hutchphd, PeroK and exponent137
Ibix said:
Incidentally, since you sound uncertain about it, this book is by Landau and Lifshitz. I believe Greg ran an overzealous profanity filter over PF at some point, and it edited the latter's name in quite a few posts.

Now I see that "Lifgarbagez" is wrong. I thought that both options are correct. :smile:
But, I copied this name from PF.

exponent137 said:
##E\propto v^2## in Newtonian mechanics.
L-L texts in section 4 says for L, Lagrangean of a free particle,
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2}[/tex] does not depend on ##v##.
This is the most direct derivation I know.

I've no idea what you are after. The most simple derivation of why ##E_{\text{kin}}=m \vec{v}^2/2## is a useful quantity I know of is the "work-energy theorem". It follows from Newtons equation,
$$m \ddot{\vec{x}}=\vec{F},$$
valid along the trajectory of the particle. Multiplying with ##\dot{\vec{x}}## gives
$$\mathrm{d}_t \left (\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2 \right)=\dot{\vec{x}} \cdot \vec{F}.$$
If ##\vec{F}## is conservative, i.e.,
$$\vec{F}(\vec{x})=-\vec{\nabla} V(\vec{x}),$$
also the right-hand-side is a total time derivative and thus you get the energy conservation law
$$\mathrm{d}_t \left (\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2 + V(\vec{x}) \right)=0.$$
That's, why it is useful to define ##E_{\text{kin}}## in its standard form. I guess, it's hard to find a mechanics textbook, where this is not derived.

Likes exponent137, nasu, Charles Link and 2 others
vanhees71 said:
I've no idea what you are after. The most simple derivation of why ##E_{\text{kin}}=m \vec{v}^2/2## is a useful quantity I know of is the "work-energy theorem". It follows from Newtons equation,
$$m \ddot{\vec{x}}=\vec{F},$$
valid along the trajectory of the particle. Multiplying with ##\dot{\vec{x}}## gives
$$\mathrm{d}_t \left (\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2 \right)=\dot{\vec{x}} \cdot \vec{F}.$$
If ##\vec{F}## is conservative, i.e.,
$$\vec{F}(\vec{x})=-\vec{\nabla} V(\vec{x}),$$
also the right-hand-side is a total time derivative and thus you get the energy conservation law
$$\mathrm{d}_t \left (\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2 + V(\vec{x}) \right)=0.$$
That's, why it is useful to define ##E_{\text{kin}}## in its standard form. I guess, it's hard to find a mechanics textbook, where this is not derived.
I please you still for reference this derivation. I think that precisely such derivation does not exist in "Landau, Lifshitz"?

But still ever I please for derivation given in the first post.

I don't know a specific source, but where is the need? The calculation is simple enough, isn't it? I'm pretty sure it's in almost any introductory textbook. Landau&Lifshitz vol. I is of course among the best classical-mechanics texts ever, particularly because it doesn't bother its readers with mechanics without using Hamilton's action principle ;-)).

1. What is the equation ##E\propto v^2## and how is it derived?

The equation ##E\propto v^2## is a simplified form of the kinetic energy equation, where E represents energy and v represents velocity. It is derived from the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. By rearranging the equation for work, we can see that the kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the velocity.

2. What is the significance of the equation ##E\propto v^2## in physics?

The equation ##E\propto v^2## is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between an object's energy and its velocity. It shows that as an object's velocity increases, its kinetic energy increases at a faster rate, making velocity a critical factor in determining an object's energy.

3. Can you provide an example of how the equation ##E\propto v^2## is used in real-life situations?

One example of how the equation ##E\propto v^2## is used in real-life is in the design of roller coasters. The kinetic energy of a roller coaster is directly proportional to the square of its velocity, so engineers must consider the speed of the coaster when designing its track and ensuring it has enough energy to complete the ride safely.

4. How does the equation ##E\propto v^2## relate to other equations in physics?

The equation ##E\propto v^2## is closely related to other equations in physics, such as the work-energy theorem and the equations for potential energy and momentum. It is also a fundamental part of the laws of motion and conservation of energy.

5. Are there any limitations to using the equation ##E\propto v^2##?

While the equation ##E\propto v^2## is a useful tool for understanding the relationship between energy and velocity, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the object in motion has a constant mass and that there are no external forces acting on it. In reality, these conditions may not always be true, so the equation may not accurately represent the energy of the object in all situations.