I'm starting school again in a month. What should I do to prepare?

In summary, the person is starting their fourth year of their engineering degree and wants to prepare ahead of time. They plan to review difficult subjects and build a healthy lifestyle and social habits. They also want to spend time with people who have similar lifestyles and become more comfortable spending time alone. They are concerned about not taking a break and feeling burnt out during the semester. It is suggested to take a small mental break during the last week of summer instead of trying to review everything in one month. Overall, the person wants to be familiar with the material in order to focus on new content from the start of the semester.
pa5tabear
I'll be starting my fourth year of my engineering degree. Up until now, I've always had as much fun as possible during my break, and just jumped in when the time came. Now, though, I'm wanting to prepare ahead of time. I will be taking difficult classes and I think it would be smart to do some prep.

My ideas:

Academic:
-review calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations
-review thermodynamics
-review transport phenomena

Lifestyle:
-build a steady sleep and exercise routine
-start a steady diet
-abstain from drinking
-give up the "addictive" time wasting activities

Social:
-focus on spending time with people with similar lifestyles
-become more comfortable spending time alone

==============

Do you guys do this stuff? What else should I be doing? I want to be as prepared as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spend time on the last lifestyle and social instead of on school. School will keep you busy all year. Hollidays are a time for resting and charging your batteries for the rest of the year.

I agree totally with eXorikos. Take a break and recharge. I am working on a dual degree program in Math and Engineering and have gone to summer school every semester, giving myself less than a month break for the past 3 years and it sucks!

I can tell you that it has hurt me academically. You can't just think about math and engineering all the time and if you don't recharge those fun batteries you probably will take a small mental break during the semester which won't help your grades!

If you feel you really need some review time just spend an hour or so a day during the last week of summer. You know the stuff, it doesn't take long to get back in the swing of it.

eXorikos said:
Spend time on the last lifestyle and social instead of on school. School will keep you busy all year. Hollidays are a time for resting and charging your batteries for the rest of the year.

I'll have been off school for six months and am very ready for school. I've been working in industry, but it's just not the same. The classes assume significant background knowledge. I want to be familiar with things, so that I can focus on new content from day one.

That's it. You haven't taken time of for the past six months. You can read some, but reviewing all those topics in one month is impossible. Six months is not eternity. Everything will come back to you without problems.

1. How can I mentally prepare myself for going back to school?

To prepare yourself mentally for going back to school, start by setting realistic expectations for yourself and your workload. Make a schedule for your classes, assignments, and other responsibilities to help you stay organized. It's also important to take care of your mental and emotional well-being by practicing self-care techniques, such as exercise, meditation, or talking to a trusted friend or family member.

2. What should I do to brush up on my academic skills before returning to school?

If it's been a while since you've been in school, consider reviewing material from your previous courses or taking practice quizzes or exams to refresh your memory. You can also reach out to your school or professors to see if they offer any resources or workshops to help you prepare for your classes.

3. How can I get organized and stay on top of my studies?

To stay organized and on top of your studies, create a designated study space where you can focus and eliminate distractions. Utilize a planner or calendar to keep track of important dates and deadlines. It's also helpful to prioritize your tasks and break them down into smaller, manageable chunks to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

4. What are some tips for balancing school and other responsibilities?

When balancing school and other responsibilities, it's important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Don't be afraid to ask for help or delegate tasks when needed. It's also important to take breaks and make time for self-care to avoid burnout. Communicate with your professors and employers about your schedule and any conflicts that may arise.

5. How can I make the most out of my school experience?

To make the most out of your school experience, get involved in extracurricular activities or clubs that align with your interests. Take advantage of resources and opportunities offered by your school, such as career services, study abroad programs, or internships. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new things.